GB.19 Aircraft Nose Art Introduction

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Its only just a couple of weeks before we start into GB.19 folks, so time to open a discussion thread on the theme of this build.

Start Date:
Thursday, 1st August 2013

Finish Date:
Sunday, 1st December 2013.

Title:
Aircraft Nose Art.

Theme:
My belief is that this subject is for art of a personal nature that was applied to the aircraft at the instigation of the crew or ground crew. This I understand would NOT include Squadron badges or insignia which were often applied at squadron level without official approval and would NOT include officially sanctioned aircraft art work for celebrations, commemorations, anniversaries or individual display aircraft or team liveries.

If memory serves right, this was a suggestion from Andy (Crimea_River), so if you have a moment Andy, stick your oar in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it says nose art, but as for markings of a personal nature, Galland's and Hartmann's markings were on the fuselage and I believe Glenn(T Bolt) has decals for the tails of P-40s. I'm all for the "nose art" intent of the build but I thought I would throw this out there early. If we deem it "personal markings." I'm for that as well.

Geo

GB 19 already? Time flies, sh!t flies and blow flies...

I'm moving as yas know, but depending on space will try and pack the Spitfire PR 19 for Uncle George. As some know, he was the man who painted 'The Last!' on PS888, the aircraft he serviced. From Vic's description above that would fit wouldn' it?

That is my understanding bahhhhzackly Vic.

Got my Havoc waiting. Custom decals will be ordered mid stream so I can add some other stuff.
Might be starting end of August cuz I got two going for 19.
Which has turned out to be a bit of a folley!

This one will be tough to put boundaries around. When I brought it up, the vision was that the entries be military aircraft, any era, with flamboyant personal or squadron markings anywhere on the aircraft, so not necessarily limited to the nose. German squadron badges, taken alone, would not qualify, nor would the identifying triangles, squares, or circles on American aircraft be considered "art". I would include sharkmouths, large wespen, and squadron markings of this nature. The fancy airshow paint schemes would not qualify as Vic says.

Im still tossing this one in my head as well. Being a bit parochial (an Aussie), i dont think there are a lot of instances of personalized nose art in the Australian forces. I havent really researched it I admit, but its not a subject I can get really enthused about either. if I find some good subject material, i might change.

In the meantime, I was just thinking f doing two things in that three months....or four months. I have a half finished version of USS CONSTELLATION on the workbech (which, ironically has aircraft on its fligt deck that I have painstakingly applied 1/850 scale tail and nose art to some...mostly the F-14s), which I will post in the "your completed kits section.

I also have a Gannet, a Westland Scout/Wasp, a 1/72 A-4, and a 1/750 scale version of HMAS SYDNEY to complete (complete with deck aircraft to paint). Next to the CONSTELLATION, the SYDNEY looks minscule. It was a birthday present to me from my eldest son, and Im really looking forward to building it, though the details scare the devil out of me. Might not get to the SYDNEY in this period, but something to look forward to.

Ive been looking at a 1/72 Britol Sycamore by CMR....a resin kit of an unusual aircraft that might fit the helo build, whenever the hell that might be. Pricey...but a very high quality kit, that has received excellent reviews. i am really impressed with the CMR stuff at the moment....they generally do some really nice kits...but they do tend to be on the high side price wise.

Just wanted to let it nbe known that whilst i probably wont be in this build, I will be interested to see the results, and will still be "around".

I tend to agree with you that we should restrict this to military aircraft and I should add only those personalised while in active military service, be it nose, tail wings or whatever. This would leave the door open for times like the Korean, Viet Nam, Bosnia, Gulf, Falklands as well as the two great wars.

Restricting it to active military service will also shut out aircraft that have been brought back to life as warbirds and been personalised by the new owners.

Again this is all open to suggestions and thoughts.

My first consideration is one of the 'Snake' Stukas, so a toss up between the Italieri and Hasegawa kits for this....

Interesting Wayne, A while back I posted few different snake stukas. I may have to see if I can dig them up for you LOL

Just, what does it say about 'nose art' in the dictionary? ;) :lol:

Another assignment? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose_art

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

Not to be confused with nose job, nose-jewels, or nose piercing

Nose art is a decorative painting or design on the fuselage of a military aircraft, usually chalked up on the front fuselage, and is a form of aircraft graffiti.

While begun for practical reasons of identifying friendly units, the practice evolved to express the individuality often constrained by the uniformity of the military, to evoke memories of home and peacetime life, and as a kind of psychological protection against the stresses of war and the probability of death. The appeal, in part, came from nose art not being officially approved, even when the regulations against it were not enforced.[1][2]

Because of its individual and unofficial nature, it is considered folk art, inseparable from work as well as representative of a group.[1] It can also be compared to sophisticated graffiti. In both cases, the artist is often anonymous, and the art itself is ephemeral. In addition, it relies on materials immediately available.[1]

So the "folk art" kinda says it all, separates Nose Art from official sqdn markings.

Then again, the US Navy had a lot of very colourful squadron tail markings. Not sure I would have included these but then, by the same logic, shark mouths and wespen would be out. Thoughts?

As I see it, wespen, sharks mouths, US navy tail markings were all OFFICIAL and accepted squadron marking some of which were identification markings, particularly with shipboard aircraft. So in effect they are no longer personal to a particular aircraft.

Thoughts.

I've got some crazy ones planed for this GB :D

Iranian Su-22 shark scheme :O crazy!!! :D

As for the sharkmouth thing, we could technically argue that anything that participated at air shows etc was nose art too :S

Whatever looks nice is nose art, no matter if it is Official or not, I mean come on we could argue that some personal aircraft colors and markings became official practice, ie when you look at the Red Baron...aren't aircraft like those "art" we shouldn't judge based on official or non official. Someone originally started doing it as a personal marking, then the squadron adopted it, then it became official that's usually how it goes with markings. Or they were ordered erased.

Just keep it in general nose art please, so we don't get into specifications, I could probably argue for 80% of aircraft that the marking became official in some way or form. It technically had to stay "official" for it to remain on the aircraft, or it would be ordered erased.

Last edited:
sheesh that might make it a hard category. I would be the exception i think....a shark mouth for example would be artwork, regardless of if its offical. i would even accept tqail art as "nose art", since the objective is to display "creative" things, and not worry whether its an "official" or "personal" addition to the aircrafts appearance.

On the other hand, I would reject "regulation" pain finishes as any sort of "aircraft art". In that regard I would include squadron flashes or registration numbers. it has to be something with flair and be unusual in some way.

Just my two bobs worth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back