GB#19 Question. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sounds good Karl and Geo!

That brings up a good point Geo: is there a dividing line between 'nose art' in it's true sense, and 'special markings' for this build?
No problem here if special schemes are included, but maybe the build subject needs to be clarified better?

That brings up a good point Geo: is there a dividing line between 'nose art' in it's true sense, and 'special markings' for this build?
No problem here if special schemes are included, but maybe the build subject needs to be clarified better?

That's a good point Evan. It would be considered a marking, not a "nose art" which would be an individuals ID. I was thinking of another HS-60 with HS-4 markings on the tail. But it would be the Sqn Hack decoration and authorized by the wing cdr, not a pilots moniker.

Paul, Here's the Monogram B-24D I have along with the decals and decal guide. I Know I've seen it on eBay recently for around $20

Attachments

• PC149177.JPG
    PC149177.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 82
  • PC149178.JPG
    PC149178.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 81
  • Scan_Pic0050 - Copy.jpg
    Scan_Pic0050 - Copy.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 82
Oh goodie !! I get to sit one out ! None of my models have nose, tail or body art, and it's going to stay that way.

I have not objection to "body (human) art", as long as it's tasteful.

Charles

I was not wanting to open a can of worms with respect to this GB, from memory it was one that Andy suggested.

As for the formal title, 'Aircraft Nose Art' was the suggestion but supporting the title was the following brief:
"Aircraft must be based on an actual example of flamboyant personal or squadron markings. This one has no set period".

Maybe we should wait to see what Andy's thought are.

I was not wanting to open a can of worms with respect to this GB, from memory it was one that Andy suggested.

As for the formal title, 'Aircraft Nose Art' was the suggestion but supporting the title was the following brief:
"Aircraft must be based on an actual example of flamboyant personal or squadron markings. This one has no set period".

Maybe we should wait to see what Andy's thought are.

Never a can of worms, just a review of the brief. If that was the case, you got my vote. I never remember the details, it's a part of getting old.

I'd forgotten that brief too, sounds (to me) though like it refers to personal or unit markings, not allover special paintschemes?
Don't mean to be picky, just wondering if there's a cut off point or 'all in'.

This is going to be a real interesting GB, seems there is a very broad spectrum that can be applied to this group build.

So we need to define the interpretation, "Aircraft Nose Art" does it mean what it says, which would be "NOSE" art confined to the Nose area? or should we redefine this build to be titled Aircraft Art? encompassing "Art" applied to any part of an aircraft, this would then allow a wide variety of applications...

Let's toss this around some more...

Oh boy.. where is the Greenpeace when we need to save whales.

Any paint applied to any part of the aircraft that is a personal marking of the pilot or crew, not official markings sanctioned by chair polishers. That is my 2 pfennigs worth.

I think this might sum up what would have been my choice, Modern RCAF paint schemes...

May 1st- Sunday Sep 4th 2016 - GB 30-'Post-War Warbirds' Given a New Lease Of Life.
Civilian and military use of WWII types after 1945, including air show circuit birds, water bombers and crop dusters, museum examples, civilian airliners/ touring aircraft, foreign service post war, etc, etc...Would allow some of the odd-ball post war conversions and dubious airshow and museum 'camo jobs' a look in, as well some of the smart civvy schemes worn by ex-military aircraft.

Maybe include all types of aircraft not just Post-War warbirds.

Geo :reindeer:

We're talking about the "Nose Art" GB Geo.

So, when I suggested this one, I had meant to have aircraft with flamboyant personal or squadron markings on the nose or elsewhere on the plane. Any era. Examples might be Graf's 190, Hartmann's black tulips, McKnight's Hurricane LE-A, Voss' Triplane, just about any American WW2 bomber with nose art, sharkmouths, the snake Stuka, etc....

Thinking about this more though, it's pretty hard to put rules on this. "Flamboyant" is not a black and white description though so some judgement needs to be exercised on the part of the entrant. Is Galland's Mickey Mouse flamboyant? Not when you compare it to Graf's machine. Then there are some examples of aircraft with a very simple name painted in small lettering on the side of the cockpit. Not very flamboyant.

Here are some suggested boundaries though:

Military, not recreational or commercial.
A simple colour change from standard camo does not qualify (e.g. yellow nosed 109's, red tail Mustangs, etc.)

So let's make this a build where you can show your creativity and maybe do something a little different. Get a little crazy but base it on a real example.

I'd love to do a Canadian CF-18B I have a F-18F in the stall, its practicly the same thing? Although they havn't really done any nost art for the Bs :(

The only one I can find is the Tiger Meet CF-18B which looks AMAZING but no decals for 1/48 atm :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back