GB 20 Question...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm very sorry to hear that too. I echo the Jan's post.

Charles, Terry. Sorry to hear you guys are not doing so well, it's a hard road both of you are travelling, I trust and hope as each day comes you both start to feel a little better.

Last edited:
I made a post, earlier, that I would like to do a Ryan PT-20 that was sold to the Netherlands. Well..... I gave the model away ! Perhaps he who I gave it to will enter it into the GB.
I'm just not up to it... sorry.

Charles

He will.
Promise.

When considering possible entries to this GB, I seem to constantly keep coming back to Bf 109 - Royal Yugoslav or Slovakian Bf 109E, Croatian Bf 109G-14, Hungarian Bf 109G-10...

I must be in some sort of Messerschmitt phase or something... I did consider Yugoslav Junkers Ju 87B Stuka though. It as used operationally in closing months of the war, but it was captured so I guess it doesn't meet GB requirements?

Then there's Royal Yugoslav Hurricane MK I, but I would have to buy a new kit for this one and I would prefer to build something I already have in my stash. Decisions, decisions...

well I'm heading in your Messerschmitt direction Igor....Finnish G-2 (1/32 Hasegawa) and Hungarian G-6 (leaning to the new Revell Kit)to complete my Schwarm of foreign 109's...started in the last foreign build!

Got any Swiss 109's Wayne, my favorite markings. Anyhoo, I've already made my choice as to what my build will be and if I have time I would like to build a second RAF P-47. I've seen different colored decals for the same aircraft and bickering on different sites as to which is correct. The options....

73 otu1.jpg
73 otu11.jpg

....based on this photo....

73 otu111.JPG

In the book "RAF Mustang and Thunderbolt Aces", the caption states "...having it painted black overall with a distinctive RED stripe..." My personal opinion, going by the photo is RED. Looking at the propeller hub, where the blades attach, it's silver. The Ace of Spades and the stripe on the fin flash is a lot brighter than the stripe and the red of the fin flash looks pretty darn close to matching the stripe. Any thoughts before I purchase the wrong decal sheet?

Geo

Last edited:
I'd say definitely red. The reflective rate is not right for bare metal, silver or grey, and the stripe matches the tonal quality if the red in the roundels, allowing for shadows etc.

What about RAAF and RCAF British built aircraft, do they count? they often had RAF markings as the Commonwealth Air Forces were pretty much jumbled up together back then. SAAF used an orange centre to it's roundel rather than a red one though. Also what about Free Polish, Czech, French and other Air Forces in RAF, Red Air Force markings etc?

What about RAAF and RCAF British built aircraft, do they count? they often had RAF markings as the Commonwealth Air Forces were pretty much jumbled up together back then. SAAF used an orange centre to it's roundel rather than a red one though. Also what about Free Polish, Czech, French and other Air Forces in RAF, Red Air Force markings etc?

A very good question!
Would a Polish squadron's nose markings count as "Aircraft in Foreign Service"? Technically it was a Polish squadron. Albeit, in the RAF. Personally, I would say that the SAAF "orange" counts as foreign. But that opens up the question of Australian markings also.
This requires a decision from a higher pay grade than I.
But it is a good one.

To my way of thinking, if the Commonwealth country or for that matter any other Allied or Axis country was under its own government at the time and the aircraft in question was not manufactured in the country which it is representing, then it would qualify as In Foreign Service. This would also encompass aircraft though manufactured, say in the UK but were purchased and assembled in Australia.

As for Polish or other squadron, such as Australian, serving as a complete squadron in the RAF, the aircraft used were usually supplied by the British government to be flown by volunteer foreign nationals and as such would not qualify as being in foreign service.

As said, only my thought and others thought and comments are as always, welcome.

A very good question!
Would a Polish squadron's nose markings count as "Aircraft in Foreign Service"? Technically it was a Polish squadron. Albeit, in the RAF. Personally, I would say that the SAAF "orange" counts as foreign. But that opens up the question of Australian markings also.
This requires a decision from a higher pay grade than I.
But it is a good one.
I tend to agree with Vic. The Polish, RAAF etc squadrons were part of the RAF, and included as numbered squadrons within the RAF system.
However, a B-26 Marauder operating with the SAAF would not only be 'in foreign service' being an American aircraft, it would also be in a 'foreign' air force, as the SAAF, although under RAF admin, were not part of the RAF, and wore their own country's markings.
Likewise, a B-25 Mitchell of 320 Squadron, formed from Dutch personnel, would qualify on both the above counts, being an American aircraft in RAF service, with RAF markings, and a Dutch crew!

Without wanting to confuse things further, the Australians and particularly the Canadians built British designed aircraft as did the Yugoslavs, also I think the Hungarians built Italian and German designed designed aircraft. The Germans used German designed aircraft built in occupied countries, they were still foreign built.
Point taken about the Polish and Czech Spitfires etc with their little flags on the nose, but the Free French often had their own markings on British and American aircraft and you can argue over how autonomous these units were.

I think if a British plane belonged to a RAAF or RCAF squadron then it is acceptable all be it that it has RAF markings while Polish and Czech RAF planes are debatable. Yugoslav built British designs also sound within the spirit of things, but German designed French built aircraft in German markings are for me a no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back