GB-49 1:48 P-400 Airacobra - Favourite A/C of WW II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wings are glued together and canopy is masked. Cracked the canopy while pressing down part of the mask. Hopefully some Future will.cover it.
20210328_151738.jpg
20210328_151713.jpg
20210328_151626.jpg

Cheers

Jeff

While Mother Superior and three of her siblings sit in the other room watching Charlton Heston and Yul Brenner in The Ten Commandments I sit in the computer room being reminded how bad my eyesight is getting. Eye doc says I am still a couple of years away from having to have my cataracts removed.
Cockpit entry doors have been masked off.

20210328_161956.jpg

Cheers

Jeff

don't know if this will help Jeff.
This is a ( poor ) pic of a pic from a calendar, showing the cockpit of the P-39 in the USAF Museum. The entire interior appears to be black.

Jeff 003.JPG

Definitely looks black on the original print, but of course, I don't know i that's the original colour, or if it's been re-painted at some time.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to say, I'm not sure what color was used in the P-400 cockpit. The records are slim on those pre-Lend-Lease orders, though quite a few of them show British Interior Grey-Green on other aircraft. I've found a number of pre-war documents discussing commonality issues between the P-400 and the P-39D, but none of the docs discuss colors.

Contemporary photos show P-39s with both versions of Dull Dark Green in their cockpits - that is the black-green version and the deep forest green version. I've not seen any Bronze Green evidence, but there's still a lot I've not seen. (There certainly was leftover Bronze Green used as a finish coat on some landing gear - and leftover paint might have previously been used in cockpits.)

Very late P-39 production used Interior Green cockpits, but those aircraft were built long after P-400 production had ended.

Last note on "Bell Green" - so far all evidence of its existence is anecdotal. I've never found a written explanation of it's existence, and the anecdotal evidence points to three different colors.

Wish I had more on this - I'd love to know more on export colors for my own projects!

Cheers,

Dana

I went with interior green for the inside of the window frames. Canopy is attached and doors secured. A small bit of putty around the fuselage/canopy joint was required as you can see in the second photo there was a small gap.

20210409_135024.jpg
20210409_132242.jpg

I then gave it all a first coat of olive drab and then removed the canopy masks.

20210409_134941.jpg

I had paint left in the airbrush so I painted the tops of the wings and will be attaching them next time at the work bench. I will touch up any areas that require fixing after doing that.

Cheers

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back