Geedee's P-51D Cockpit Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good Gary! I'll have to find a Thunderbolt sticker like that. I'm looking forward to the pictures you'll take at cockpitfest this year. Will you be able to light up the gunsight?

Thanks for the continued support chaps.

Spent an hour yesterday trying out the new polisher. Not sure if I'm doing it the right way or not, if I'm using the right sequence of heads...I have a foam head and a lambs wool one... using the right polish etc etc, but it looks like I'm heading in the right direction. You can just make out the bit I've started on.... :D

I'm using T-cut as the polishing compound as its A, all I've got, and B, I dont want anything too abrasive as the Ali is new sheets and not 'old stuff'

Only started on a small area on the fuselage side (cant shave in the reflection yet !)but will do some more later today and see how she starts to shine up.

Will you be able to light up the gunsight?
I'd love to have it working Glenn, but I'm still struggling with building the actual instrument shroud that the gunsight is bolted to, and I'm no where ready for mucking about with electric, just yet.

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 282
Havent posted an update for a little while as I've been busy getting ready for her first outing this year.

Done a lot more polishing with my new polisher ...duh !... and things were going well until.... I clipped a skin-pin with the lambswool polishing head. OMFG !!!.:shock:

It looked like Jack the Ripper had gotten into bestiality. I tell ya, there was bits of wool everywhere, on the floor, on the shelves, in the corners, on the roof. I'm still hoovering up bits of dead sheep nearly three weeks after the horrific accident !!:D

Then I couldn't put it off any more, I started on the windshield assembly... SHOCK / HORROR / PROBE :shock:

As usual, I dont have the correct profile or thickness materiel so I'm using what materiel I have in stock.

Had to resort to the old fashioned method of loads of hacksaw cuts to get the angle ali to bend, then place supporting strips of ali behind so that I could then rivet it all together and finally fill the cuts with chemical metal. followed all this with a quick spray of primer and then a satin black on the inside.

Its not 100 percent accurate...yet... as I still have some tweaking to do before I am happy and can start looking at getting the glass / perspex side of stuff sorted out.

The main bug-bear I have at the moment, is that the ali that bends up and around the base of the windshield was too thick...at 2mm !... to bend , so it was a quick trip to the metal suppliers and get a sheet of 1.2mm ali. at least I can bend this stuff hopefully around the curves I will need to. More work to follwo here.

I also ordered a stencil of the data plate that sits on the left hand side of the fuselage just behind the firewall. This arrived today and will be put in place before the end of the month.

I hope the piccies come out in the right order, if not I'm sorry as I cant seem to be able to place them in order on the attachments manager like I used to be able to do.

I've included a few shots of her at Cockpitfest this weekend. And the good news is I've re-established contact with Tom...the gent who I mentioned last year...who will be doing my nose art. Yippee !!!

And on the plus side, I was able to mount my gunsight for the first time !

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 229
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 229
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 226
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 229
  • m7.jpg
    m7.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 238
  • m10.jpg
    m10.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 202
  • m8.jpg
    m8.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 236
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 234
  • m9.jpg
    m9.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 232
WOW Gary! Its really looking great with that windscreen frame and gun sight on. I knew you'd have a lot to show for Cockpitfest. you're method of concealing the hacksaw cuts at the frame bend seems to have worked out pretty good.
I'm very interested in that stencil you mentioned. That's something I'll be having to work on and was thinking about printing it up on the computer and cutting it out with an x-acto knife, but wasn't really looking forward to it. You're route sounds a lot easier. You'll have to post details when you put it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back