Geedee's P-51D Cockpit Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Daryll, I'll take you up on that early in the new year !!

Quick update.

Haven't done a d*mn thing to her since my last post !.

There...said it was a quick one :)

What I have done in the meantime tho' is to continue getting those extra bits 'n pieces. The latest acquisition is the top central section of armor plate on the firewall. This is an original section and has a few remnants on the engine side, of a few the brackets and even has the part number stamped and still readable !. I now need to figure out how to de-rust and re-spray the bits without losing any of the original markings and then replace my MDF copy.

And yup....it's gonna make her even heavier, even more so as now I'll have to locate and install the two seperate side sections as well !.

Attachments

• ap2.jpg
    ap2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 163
  • ap3.jpg
    ap3.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 171
  • ap4.jpg
    ap4.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 162
  • AP1.jpg
    AP1.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Heck, that even looks heavy!
How about gluing a thin piece of metal over the original markings, then de-rusting either chemically or by blasting, then remove the 'patches' and do the areas around the stampings by hand?

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Cleaning this little bit of tin :shock: is going to be interesting !.

My initial though waas to strip it down and then simply sand blast it. Rest assued, that isn't going to happen. I think what I will do is use a liquid rust remover that Tony swears by. This will save the stamped numbers and also help restore the nuts 'n' bolts, so I can re-use them.

Quite the paperweight there Gary, Would it be sacrilegious to restamp the numbers before sandblasting and painting?

I did wonder about that Andy, then I got thinking how tough the stamps have to be to make a mark on armour plate !!

How about gluing a thin piece of metal over the original markings, then de-rusting either chemically or by blasting, then remove the 'patches' and do the areas around the stampings by hand

This sounded quite a good idea Terry, one I hadn't thought of doing and it would certainly make the whole rust removal process a lot simpler. Nice one !

That it does Terry! Nice acquisition though Gary, looking forward to seeing it in place...

Me too, Hugh :)

I have some alternatives that might be useful. The TBM Avenger restoration I was working on, we had it Soda Blasted. Soda Blasting uses baking soda and water with high pressure. It doesn't pit the surface like sandblasting, and as long as you really wash the soda off, there is no corrosion. The other method is to use crushed walnut shells, it's like the sand or bead blasting but without the pitting. When I had to sandblast parts of the avenger, I would use silly putty or poster putty pressed into the stamps then went and blasted. Afterwards, I removed the putty and cleaned the areas that weren't cleaned. Just some ideas.

Holy smokes! This is what I wished for when I was a child. Closest I got was sitting in a big cardboard box. Amazing...truly awesome work!!!

@ B29WereWolf, Dude, thanks for the thought's about using Walnuts. There's something I haven't thought about for a long time !. I don't know any-one local who uses such a system of cleaning, on my armor plate, but it's something I'll have a look into :thumbleft:

This is what I wished for when I was a child. Closest I got was sitting in a big cardboard box

Mate, if you've sat in a cardboard box, you are halfway there !. Not only can I help you, but also a load of other really talented guys on this very site, can, and will help you to move from sitting in a box, to using carboard boxes as templates for marking out in aluminum.

You do not have to be a skilled or trained engineer ...I am far from skilled, trust me !

And before you know it, you'll have your own readily identified Warbird sat in your bedroom / living room / workshop / garage. Its a very powerful thing indeed, to walk out to wherever you are building and see a Warbird sat ready and waiting for you to either do some more work on her, or even better, climb in and use your imagination to take you on a wonderful experienece. Trust us, it's well worth it !. And above all else, remember that you alone have made her, And that is a feeling that absolutely no-one can ever take away from you.... beats going down the pub or to a footie match , hands down, any day of the week !!!!

Any paint or restoration/maintenance shop (check local airports) should have a blast cabinet and they should be able to get you taken care of, most likely a fee, but this way you don't have to go to the expense of getting the equipment.

@ B29WereWolf, Dude, thanks for the thought's about using Walnuts. There's something I haven't thought about for a long time !. I don't know any-one local who uses such a system of cleaning, on my armor plate, but it's something I'll have a look into :thumbleft:

Mate, if you've sat in a cardboard box, you are halfway there !. Not only can I help you, but also a load of other really talented guys on this very site, can, and will help you to move from sitting in a box, to using carboard boxes as templates for marking out in aluminum.

You do not have to be a skilled or trained engineer ...I am far from skilled, trust me !

And before you know it, you'll have your own readily identified Warbird sat in your bedroom / living room / workshop / garage. Its a very powerful thing indeed, to walk out to wherever you are building and see a Warbird sat ready and waiting for you to either do some more work on her, or even better, climb in and use your imagination to take you on a wonderful experienece. Trust us, it's well worth it !. And above all else, remember that you alone have made her, And that is a feeling that absolutely no-one can ever take away from you.... beats going down the pub or to a footie match , hands down, any day of the week !!!!

So you started by sitting in a cardboard box too? Ha ha...nah man, you guys that do these 1:1 cockpits are in a different league. I definitely don't have the tools and floor space for this type of project. My wife would KILL me. It also demands more energy and time. I think I'll just hang on the side lines and poke my head in from time to time. Watching the progress you guys are making is good enough for me. :)

Last edited:
I'm engaged, but I think a lot I'd rather do this kind of stuff than to have a wife. I guess when she is my wife, she will have to just deal with it as she will do things that I will not be thrilled about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back