Going Big Walkabout....................... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Come next Monday morning Hil and I will be off on our wanders again, first stop a couple of nights in Los Angelis before taking a flight to New York where we have a packed schedule of shows, and seeing the sights. This time I'm hoping for a day in the 'Intrepid' and the associated exhibits. We then take Amtrak to Boston where we pick up a tour group which over a number of days winds its way up the coast to Novas Scotia and Prince Edward Island before backtracking an alternate route to Boston.

It's then onward by air to Nashville where we pick up our second tour group which again over a number of days takes us into the deep south and yes, this includes 'Graceland', SWMBO insists. On this tour we end up in New Orleans for a couple of days. From here we rely on Amtrak again, taking an overnighter back up north to Newark where we will flip across the Atlantic to Frankfurt and a couple of nights sipping the waters of the Octoberfest and pigging out on……….well I've just mentioned it.

While in Frankfurt were doing a day outing to Rothenburg, it will be a long day out, but I believe well worth it. It's then on to Lisbon, Portugal where again we connect with our third tour group which will take us over 11 days, up to Porto and then on a river cruise up the Rio Douro (River of Gold) which will actually take us into Salamanca in Spain. The cruise then returns slowly to Porto where we will fly down to Faro and Albufeira on the Algarve for a few days rest on the beach. After this we start the trek home, flying via Frankfurt to Bangkok where we will lay over for a few days to help get the internal clocks back in order before the final leg back to Canberra. So with luck we should make it back in time for Halloween at the end of October.

Epic schedule! A safe and joy-filled trip to you and Hil Vic. Try to get to the naval museum in Halifax, scamper around on the HMCS Sackville, and have a Malbec oyster in PEI. And the Cabot Trail is a must.

Last edited:
Sounds like you a pretty packed schedule in New York, but if you have time I would to show you the two aviation museums on Long Island. Let me know and have a great trip!

Just a short stroll here and there then Vic?!
Have a great time mate, and say hello to my mate Ed at the Flying School at Faro. Just realised it's nearly two years since you were here with Karl and I - time don't half fly!

My thanks folks for all your kind wishes, I'm sure were going to have the best fun, we usually do, and rest assured many pics WILL be taken, I've even got a purchased a spare card just to be on the safe side.

Sounds like you a pretty packed schedule in New York, but if you have time I would to show you the two aviation museums on Long Island. Let me know and have a great trip!

Jim,

Many thanks for your offer my friends, it is most kind of you but I'm sorry to say we'll just have to pass on your generosity. Like our last visit to NY, the itinerary is so packed that I'm not sure that well get to do everything, which means we'll just have to return again in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back