GrauGeist's Photos (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Benton Field has a Father's Day "fly-in" every year for Father's day. There's a pancake breakfast and fun things for the kids, and aircraft on display including the U.S. Coast Guard and California Highway Patrol helicopters. They also have airplane and helicopter rides for folks as well as RC aircraft displays.

When I went to leave, I got an extra treat. One of the oldest flying designs on the planet was on display, right on the antenna of my BMW! Not sure why Dragonflies like the tip of the antenna, but he tolerated me grabbing his photo! :thumbleft:

Attachments

• IMGP7098-cr.jpg
    IMGP7098-cr.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMGP7106-cr.jpg
    IMGP7106-cr.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMGP7117-rs.jpg
    IMGP7117-rs.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMGP7118-rs.jpg
    IMGP7118-rs.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMGP7131-rs.jpg
    IMGP7131-rs.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMGP7154-rs.jpg
    IMGP7154-rs.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMGP7147-cr.jpg
    IMGP7147-cr.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMGP7145-cr.jpg
    IMGP7145-cr.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMGP7140-rs.jpg
    IMGP7140-rs.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMGP7135-rs.jpg
    IMGP7135-rs.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 106
Here's something that I think is kind of fun...

I was going through some files this morning, and came across a sound file I had recorded back in June, when the Collings Foundation came to town with thier PT-51C, B-17G and B-24J.

Matter of fact, it is a recording (1 minute, 5 seconds) of the B-24 "Witch Craft" taxiing in from thier landing. You can hear the brakes (bomber's brakes alway squeek) and the four radial engines. There's voices of the B-17's (Nine-O-Nine) ground crew talking in the background...and if you close your eyes and imagine for just a moment...you can almost get a sense of the activity at an airfield somewhere in England, 1944...

If anyone has trouble with the .WMA file, I can convert it to a .MP3 and repost it :)

I'll post a photo of Witch Craft that was taken at the time the audio was recorded.

Attachments

• B-24_Taxi.WMA
    265 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP6865-rs.jpg
    IMGP6865-rs.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 130
Sound great! All that came up on video though was my visual program, sorry.My bad. I thought it was a video recording (dumba$$).:oops:
lol @ (dumba$$)

We've all been there :lol:

Glad ya' liked the sound file...I just thought it was kind of neat and it's not something a person hears every day...well, for some of us, at least!

Awesome sh!t Dave, great pics man, thanks for posting....
Glad ya' liked!

I'm just kicking myself in the arse that I didn't record 909 rolling in, and record Witch Craft longer!

Last weekend, my sister and my two neices were here visiting, so I took them to the museum to see Sue, the world's most complete T-Rex...super awesome! I still find it hard to beleive that there were monsters like this roaming around...and when you see the teeth on this animal, it just about puts the hair up on the back of your neck...

I was hoping for real nice shots, but they had this :xcensoredx: red light that was pulsing, I guess to make it look "spooky" or something but in reality looked like crap.

Here's some specs on Sue: (info from Sue at The Field Museum)
Scientific name: Tyrannosaurus rex (From the Greek and Latin for "tyrant lizard king")
Range: Western North America
Discovered: August 12, 1990, on the Cheyenne River Sioux Indian Reservation near Faith, South Dakota, by fossil hunter Sue Hendrickson
Length: 42 feet (12.8 meters)
Height at hips: 13 feet (4.0 meters)
Estimated live weight: 7 tons (6.4 metric tons)
Weight of skull: 600 pounds (272 kg)
Length of skull: 5 feet (1.5 meters)
Size of brain cavity: Just big enough to hold a quart of milk
Number of teeth: 58
Length of teeth: 7 1/2 to 12 inches (19.05 to 30.5 centimeters)
Diet: Meat
Yeah, you read that right...teeth that are 12" freakin' inches long!

Attachments

• IMGP7234-rs.jpg
    IMGP7234-rs.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMGP7242-rs.jpg
    IMGP7242-rs.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMGP7246-rs.jpg
    IMGP7246-rs.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 113
Yeah, the red is almost too much...

I really wish I could have used my flash, but the gal at the door told me no, so I didn't want to get busted.

I did a little editing in Photoshop, knocked just about all of the color out of it, and you can see the detail better now...

Attachments

• IMGP7246-ed.jpg
    IMGP7246-ed.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 109
Thanks guys...but I will admit that indoor shooting is soooo not my forte!

Being in a no-flash zone and add to that the crappy lighting (notice the can lights in the stage floor?) with orange and red lamps everywhere and you have conditions that are just about as evil as the T-Rex's teeth...

I tried various shutter/aperature combinations and none came out worth a :xcensoredx:

You might also try bumping the exposure a bit in photoshop, or using a filter to get rid of some of the red. But it's still a cool shot.

That red is so strong in the shot, that I couldn't eliminate it with the HSB or color balance. Even when I dropped the saturation levels to about -90%, I still had red (as seen in the B&W photo).

Next time, I'm just going to take a flash shot, and let the museum chick kick my a**
pi_freak.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back