Hockey Shop 101 Hosted by Les...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Check out this shot of Terry Sawchuk... Boy, the days of no face masks... Gasser and the Plagers were all awesome...

Attachments

• sawchuk.gif
    sawchuk.gif
    27.5 KB · Views: 2,648
  • plagers.jpg
    plagers.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 535
I guess up to the 50s the slap shot was discouraged by some really ole time coaches. Geoffrion and Hull really brought it out (especially Hull) and Stan Mikita really added to the melee when he introduced the banana curve. Team mate Bobbie Hull and later Dennis Hull made masks a necessity....

g_geoffrion_275.jpg

hull2.jpg

Stan is one hell of a character for sure Joe... Check this shot out...

Its one of the few pics of J. Bob "Battleship" Kelly.... The man was a wrecking crew, and although he spent a very short time in the NHL, he is a legend in the pugilistic annals of history...

In 1974-75, his first full season in Pittsburgh, Battleship Kelly scored 27 goals, collecting 25 the following season... After the 1976-77 season, Kelly was cut loose, and signed with the Chicago Black Hawks as a free agent... He played two seasons with the Hawks, before finishing his professional hockey career with a handful of games in the minors...

He was a goon who could pummel the **** out of u and then score 2 goals.... Tough SOB from Ontario...

Attachments

• battleship.jpg
    battleship.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 708
I remember him. I always liked the old Pittsburgh Uniforms...

During that period Pittsburgh had a good team. Syl Apps Jr., Ron Stackhouse, Rich Kehoe, Pierre Larouche, Dave Burrows, Jean Pronovost. Despite Stackhouse and Burrows, defensively they sucked and never had good goal tending. I remember the 1975 playoffs when the Islanders beat them...

I got to see most of those guys when they played junior the Local ex team at the time boasted that every player on the one team made the NHL Jean Pronovost was one the goalies were Favell and Parent . And just to show you a real tough guy that could play
Whats with love affair with Flyers Les

Attachments

• Oreillybos.jpg
    Oreillybos.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 445
Ahhh - Terry O'Riely - Another Bruiser.

I know Dan hates the Flyers but they were friggin hilarious when they were at their prime (74-75). Dave Schultz, Big Bird Saleski, Hound Dog Kelly, Bobby Clarke, Ed Van Imp, Gary Dornhoffer and of course Parent. I think their rein ended when Schultz got pounded by Clarke Gilles.

Ahhh - Terry O'Riely - Another Bruiser.

I know Dan hates the Flyers but they were friggin hilarious when they were at their prime (74-75). Dave Schultz, Big Bird Saleski, Hound Dog Kelly, Bobby Clarke, Ed Van Imp, Gary Dornhoffer and of course Parent. I think their rein ended when Schultz got pounded by Clarke Gilles.

You always have to be good at something, passing, shooting, hitting, they were just good at scaring the hell out of people and beating them up. A Cup is a Cup no matter how you win it. :lol:

You always have to be good at something, passing, shooting, hitting, they were just good at scaring the hell out of people and beating them up. A Cup is a Cup no matter how you win it. :lol:

YEP!!!

I remember the first year the Flyers won the Cup - in the final game against Boston they just pounded them into submission, kept Bobbie Orr at bay (Thanks to Bernie Parent) and let their snipers pop in a few goals. The following year they acquired Reggie Leach who was a real sniper.

YEP!!!

I remember the first year the Flyers won the Cup - in the final game against Boston they just pounded them into submission, kept Bobbie Orr at bay (Thanks to Bernie Parent) and let their snipers pop in a few goals. The following year they acquired Reggie Leach who was a real sniper.

As much as I don't like Clarke as a GM, I loved him as a player. Real grit, not the toughest guy ever, but still damn tough and a good player.

As much as I don't like Clarke as a GM, I loved him as a player. Real grit, not the toughest guy ever, but still damn tough and a good player.
Agree - I remember during Canada Cup, he took a stick in the face by a Soviet player. The Soviet guy tried to say he was sorry, Clarke just pushed the dude out of his way and made his way over to the bench to get stitched....

Agree - I remember during Canada Cup, he took a stick in the face by a Soviet player. The Soviet guy tried to say he was sorry, Clarke just pushed the dude out of his way and made his way over to the bench to get stitched....

Yup. I always remember a slap shot defecting of his face, cutting him wide open, the puck bounced off his face into the net. Blood was running down his face, he never went down or skated to the bench, his just smiled.

Then I remember once Canada once playing Russia and this Russian guy was killing team Canada b/c he was so good. Coach said someone has to stop him, Clarke went out and hacked him over the ankle with a two hander, breaking his ankle. Canada went on to win. When asked about it today Clarke just smiles. He knew what he was doing.

pB, I despise the Flyers... Always have, always will... O'Reily was good, but he got handed his ass on numerous occasions, by guys who he should have beaten...

I got a 2 hour tape on him and he fights kinda unorganized, but he was a tough SOB for sure...

Have to agree with Joe about Schultz, and I have that fight on tape BTW... Once Gillies beat his ass, he was never the same, but then again, Ol' Jethro is ranked as one of the toughest guys EVER...

I used to be a Mod at a hockey fight board, and we had a Poll that was participated by around 600 guys or so over a period of months.... AThen we had shirts made up with it... Here is the ranking according to some of the most dubious and well-informed fight fans around the globe...

1. Bob Probert
2. Behn Wilson
3. Dave Brown
4. Nick Fotiu
5. Clark Gillies
6. Marty McSorley
7. Joey Kocur
8. Bob Nystrom (My Hero)
9. John Kordic
10. Jay Miller

These guys were the cream of the crop in the Enforcer role, AND THERE WILL NO DEBATE CONCERNING THE ABOVE LIST!!!

That being said, no one, and I mean NO ONE comes close to Probert...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back