Incredible Website (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JG 26

Airman
Jul 6, 2010
Alpharetta, GA. USA
Gentlemen,
I must offer my sincere gratitude to everyone for maintaining and contributing to this incredible website. The information provided here is simply outstanding. If I could only find out how the cannon layout in the nose of a bf 109 works (how is the prop connected to the crankshaft if the barrel is in the spinner) I could die happy.I am sure I will find the answer. I also love looking at the beautiful models made by many of you. It makes me want to build one and I haven't touched a kit in over 20 years. I only joined a few days ago but this is my favorite website by far. Thank you all.

Steve, I'm sure someone will follow with more details but the principle of the MG151 firing thru the prop hub is is fairly simple.

The cannon barrel is actually situated outside of the engine in the crotch of the Vee of the cylinders. Picture the DB 605 inverted (upside down) so the crankcase is on top and the gun barrel, outside of the block, below the crank. The crank has a gear on the end of it which engages another gear that is cocentric with the gun barrel. That gear is fixed to the prop shaft and the gun barrel goes through it. That's the basics.

I have a diagram of the arrangement somewhere and will see if I can scan it.

sign0016.gif

G'day Steve, glad to have you join us and I agree, this is a great site.

happy0120.gif
happy0120.gif

Steve, I'm sure someone will follow with more details but the principle of the MG151 firing thru the prop hub is is fairly simple.

The cannon barrel is actually situated outside of the engine in the crotch of the Vee of the cylinders. Picture the DB 605 inverted (upside down) so the crankcase is on top and the gun barrel, outside of the block, below the crank. The crank has a gear on the end of it which engages another gear that is cocentric with the gun barrel. That gear is fixed to the prop shaft and the gun barrel goes through it. That's the basics.

I have a diagram of the arrangement somewhere and will see if I can scan it.
Thank you very much!

OK Steve, here's an engine cutaway diagram of, in this case, a DB 601A engine, taken from my copy of "The Geat Book of World War II Airplanes" by various authors, illustrated by Rikyu Watanabe. You can see the crankshaft on top with the small gear on it at the front end. That gear drives a reduction gear (#4) attached to the hollow prop shaft (#5). The cannon runs inside of the hollow prop shaft in between the cylinders.

Attachments

• Engine cutaway.jpg
    Engine cutaway.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 138
I've actually wondered about that as well. did the US do the same with the P-39?

Yes, similar concept, although the P39 had the engine mounted in the middle so that the cannon was well clear of the engine. Again, a reduction gear around a hollow shaft allowed the gun to fire through the hub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back