IPMS GB 1/72 Airfix P-51 OOB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys, I think I'm a little over the top on this........

But here's todays............. wing guns
I just thought the stubs provided needed some attention, so stretched sprue it is.

The kit had an incomplete gear leg, have to get another kit to replace it. But I want to do Merlin's Maghic in 1/72nd in flight passing one of the course markers at Reno. In wings up 90 degrees position so I can use the second kit for that.

Attachments

• IPMS GB P51- 4a.jpg
    IPMS GB P51- 4a.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IPMS GB P51- 4b.jpg
    IPMS GB P51- 4b.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 86
Yeah, I'm okay.... .35MM drill, .85mm barrel, .9mm hole......

Now I've lost the IP. So I really do need another kit.
Pres is bringing one earmarked for me to tomorrows meeting.
Saved by the bell as the LHS in Sydney does not have any, one hour train trip for naught cuz the website said they did!

Thanks guys.............. and at the meeting today I found out I can use PE seatbelts..... now don't that beat all!!!!!!!!

I'll be achangingthem.

I took tha seat out and will replasce it with the new kit part because I can use seat belts.

Then, what do you do if This part breaks................. twice!!!!
Cut it off at the base, and under the grip. A piece of streached sprue. Drill .5mm at the base part and stuff the sprue in glued! Then...... drill .35mm under the grip, cut the sprue off to length and stuff the sprue in the hole with some glue! The sprue piece will be stronger cuz it gets tempered when heated and streached.......... damn this is The Worst part in the kit.

I'll have a picture tomorrow when it sets.

Attachments

• IPMS GB P51- 5.jpg
    IPMS GB P51- 5.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 89
I doggone better have worked, it's out of the box remember, I have no choice but to use kit parts..........
and here she bloodywell is....... finally!

Attachments

• IPMS GB P51- 5b.jpg
    IPMS GB P51- 5b.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 82
Ohhhhhhh believe me....... you wouldn't want me digging into the noggin of your loved ones.... not even Fido!

I've done another seat, from the second kit.
Fixing the gear leg, which is too "to scale" as the control stink. Easy to bend, and it don;t bend back! Si I will have to use the nuckle part from the new one and attach it to the old one, which just happens to be straight. Ordered seat belts! Got till 24th June to finish.

Then I got sidetracked on my little Merlin's Magic, wheels up, 90 banking turn around a pylon. Gotta get back on GB22 as well, but have a long time to finish that one.

So today I thought I would get the prop sorted.
I started with the usual cuffed prop. Then, sitting on the throne, reading up on the decal sheet for 3 Sqn, you do what works eh? 3 Sqn had Aeroprops in use. So I took out the Alternate prop, not the Aero in profile, and started modifying.

I had a print showing the profile, took it into Corel Draw and reduced it to 1/72nd scale. Printed it on glossy paper and cut one of the blades out of the paper. Marked the blade and started filin and sandin.

First pic shows the two together, second three blades have been profiled, terd pic I just need the yellow tips. And I have pictures to prove it is not an aftermarket!

I hjave filled the panel lines on the wings, except for the gun and ammo panels and are ready for paint.

I sailor on!

Attachments

• IPMS GB P51- 6a.jpg
    IPMS GB P51- 6a.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IPMS GB P51- 6b.jpg
    IPMS GB P51- 6b.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IPMS GB P51- 6c.jpg
    IPMS GB P51- 6c.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 86
Thanks guys.
Finally making some of the big strides.

Finished prop........
sculpted the rear wheel assy. Drilled out and then shaved to open it up with the tip of my scalpel.
Painted the main gear and wheels. I've stretched some prue real thin and will add Brake lines to the main gear.

I'm hoping the seat belts are in tomorrow so I can button up the fuselage and start painting.
Bit by bit.

Attachments

• IPMS GB P51- 7a.jpg
    IPMS GB P51- 7a.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 86
  • IPMS GB P51- 7b.jpg
    IPMS GB P51- 7b.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IPMS GB P51- 7c.jpg
    IPMS GB P51- 7c.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 99

Users who are viewing this thread