Monogram 1/48 B-24 Liberator

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I biult the old Monogram J model years ago as a kid, i would love to do one again in these markings:-

Attachments

• 21sqnRAAF4.jpg
    21sqnRAAF4.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 123
Gary, the Revell web-site have just included the B24J as a new release, within the last couple of weeks. It's unclear whether this was Revell USA or Revell Europe, as their site has mixed sections, but it wasn't the separate Revell GmBH, Germany.

Thanks, if you want to see more Libs from 205 Group see my website RAF Liberator Squadrons
It's a shame I built it then found your MTO Group build, I built it for another site's group build. Still I've got another 1/48 Lib J and 2 x more 1/48 Lib D's in the stash awaiting biulds :D
Gary

Very interesting website, Gary. I think Im going to have to study it more after the MTO build on the B-24

Great looking Lib. I know zip about the RAF use of this airplane but I do like it in that scheme a lot.

One thing I might be picky about is the leading edges of the flying surfaces with the de-icing boots. They would not appear to be weathered down to the base metal. They were rubber boots that inflated (slightly) and deflated in a sort of rhythmical pulsing to crack off ice and didn't appear weathered with the exception of a slight graying out like rubber will do. Some aircraft (B-24 and B-17) had their boots removed in some campaigns where heavy flak was common because the boots would tear from shrapnel damage and cause asymmetrical drag on the wings (usually one wing heavy). This left the normal leading edge which could be weathered to the base metal.

Again, great build and finish.

No worries I'm not disappointed.
Yes certainly this is the case on the B-24D the MkI. The B-24D used pneumatic de-icing boots but following tests on the XB-24F (a B-24 D test platform) they converted to thermal de-icing boots which were insulated by a rubber compound that was painted along the leading edges.
It used hot air piped from the engines into ducting fitted inside the leading edges of the wing and tail assembly. This arrangement proved superior to the electric/pneumatic deicer boots of earlier versions (the type you mention), which had sometimes failed to prevent ice buildups. I'm not sure of the conversion ration's for USAAF Liberators but new RAF designated Liberators were converted to the thermal versions.
Flak and debris tended to shred the boots causing drag so it was quite common for the rubber to be removed all together which left a bare metal surface. On the thermal versions it was common to just paint them in the same colour scheme of the aircraft, as I've done ;)

I did a lot of research specifically on that part, it helps running a website that deals specifically with the B-24 it also helps having a set of original manuals :D
I assume that most people think that this is the case as I've been asked this before and had to explain the differences between the Electrically operated Pneumatic and the Thermal ducted leading edge de-icing mechanisms. Just as well I've not entered it in to a competition where it could be marked down because it is assumed that it was fitted with the old type de-icer.

Last edited:
Why thank you Sir, I'd like to take full credit but can't as it's the visitors and contributors that make it what it is :D
I only finished the conversion in February from old static php to a more content centric site.
Gary

Hi Paul
Yes I have an original, it's amazing how much stuff I've been given over the years by veterans and relatives. Everything from manuals, photos etc. I even have a full uniform promised me, but I've told him I'd rather he held on to it for long time yet.
Gary

Last edited:
Awesome. Would you put this in a museum somewhere? It's certainly worthy of public display. The weathering is fantastic - all the kinds of things I wanted to do when making kits as a kid.

Thanks Gruad, that made my day and humbled me :D
I was really pleased with it myself, as it was my fist full build in a number of years but there are other planes more worthy of praise.
I'd love to think that a museum would want it but I find it difficult when a lot of museums won't even acknowledge the existence of 205 Group or even ACSEAC everyone is focused on Bomber Command and Lancaster raids etc, but this is a rant for another day :D
Thanks though for making my day mate :D

I'm just in the process of ordering a custom made cabinet to house my growing collection, I only have a handful (literally) as I've not been back in to modelling long. But I feel that the $1,000 price tag will be worth it over the years :D
I'm going to be starting another one of these in the very near future, but with a twist. I'm sure it's been done before but I intend to make the next one a full cutaway including wing spars/ribs etc.
What I' looking for is detailed drawings/photos etc of any parts of the Liberator. I have a good selection on my site but I'm sure there must be lots more out there.
I'll create a new thread but where should I put it?
Cheers
Gaz

Last edited:
Looking forward to more Libs mate! Btw, saw that you can get the 1/48 D variant on ebay. on a side note, 36 to 50 quid for Hasegawa's 1/72 B-24's!? What the h*ll!? :shock:

Hey Lucky
Thanks for the inspiration, yeah I bought mine on E-Bay a number of years ago. I still have 1 x D and 1 x J left. Revell have just reissued the "D" the "J" I'm not sure of the if it's just a rerun or if it's retooled I expect it'll be the former.
I have about 8 x 1/72 Libs to build :shock:

I've got a couple of cutaways and some internal pics of Libs, although you might have these already. If you think they might help, let me know. I'll have to scan the cutaways in two hits though, as they're just a bit big to fit the scanner in one go. I've also got schematic drawings of the internal equipment fit for the ECM Libs from RAF 100 Group, if that's of interest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back