My Return To Modeling, The Bf 109F-4 of Viktor Bauer...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I jumped in on someone elses thread concerning this, so here is the new thread....

Just picked up a model of Oblt. Viktor Bauers Bf109F-4 when he was a Staffelkaptain for 9./JG3 near Stalingrad, June 1942...

Also have instructions for Lt. Ostermanns F-2 from 7./JG54 Aug 1941 and Oblt. Liesendahls F-4/B from 10./JG2 March 1942...

I am infact doing the Viktor Bauer crazy camo job from Stalingrad.... Kit specs are:

21st Century Toys
1:32
Bf 109F-2/F-4

I dont have a sprayer and since this is the first model I've done in a long time, Im goin with the brush.... I will be takin a few pics as I progress....

The choice for which one to go with was made up for me by the lack of a sprayer so..... Here were my options....

Attachments

• Ostermann_109F-2_7JG54_Krasnogvardeisk_Russia_Oct41.gif
    Ostermann_109F-2_7JG54_Krasnogvardeisk_Russia_Oct41.gif
    28 KB · Views: 234
  • FrankLiesendahl_Pro_Lg.gif
    FrankLiesendahl_Pro_Lg.gif
    26.9 KB · Views: 299
  • Viktor Bauer 9 JG3b.JPG
    Viktor Bauer 9 JG3b.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 286
Les.... whenever you are in doubt, ask Becca...
However, I prefer the top one (FWIW)....

Regardless, I'm sure you'll do a top notch job. I've been away from rubber
powered models for fifty years..... It's like riding a bike (or sex).... you
never forget...

Charles

Les, no sprayer here either but I use spray cans and alittle imagination, things work out alright. Just have something to pratice on first. Besides a paint job without a sprayer is for artists!

Les, if you are going to brush paint, Bauer's F-4 would be the better option.
Ostermann's would look far better if you could airbrush the camo. However the choice is still yours....

Hallo Les,
A great stuff there.I also like the first profile.It looks really nice,but without an airbrush and a compressor it will be very hard to make the camo,especially for this scale..Maybe you should take another kind of Bf camo into consideration.I would like to suggest the JG54 camo for F-2 used at Leningrad area in 1942.Like in the profile I've uploaded.Sopurce unknown.

Attachments

• Bf109F2_of IIIJG54.jpg
    Bf109F2_of IIIJG54.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 267
I'm sure that you'll do a grand job as always Les! I'm just getting back into modeling too, I've got a compressor from ebay for less than the new price, have a look yourself and you might get surprised. As with the Luftwaffe, I'll begin to model only machines numbered 13 and then take it from there, so things won't get out of hand.....

Check this one out for example: Iwata Air Paint Brush Kit w/Smart Jet Compresser NO RES - (eBay item 200162305332 end time Oct-19-07 08:44:21 PDT) its current bid is $0.99 and it's five days left....good luck!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Question I have is how to fake the underside color, RLM 76, with the standard paints.... Mix up some white with grey and a dop of black???

Help....

To be honest Les I don't know why you want to make the colour yourself.There are some enamels of The Humbrol,Gunze,Testors,Model Master etc.. that offer the paint.I've found that the mixture in 1:1 proportion of Humbrol 175 and Humbrol 23 is the Lightblue ( Hellgrau ) RLM 76 ( FS 36473).Taking it into consideration it should be possible to nake the paint with the black,white,blue and green ones.The proportion can be achieved by an experiment only.

BTW the cockpit looks O.K but, did you use black for painting or these pics aren't accurate with the colour?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back