MY WORLD

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So sorry I have not visited this thread since the last time.

Excellent pics! That terrain looks like some areas I flew over in the States on my way to San Fran. (ONLY time I ever flew in a commercial jet. I will NEVER do that again! Keep me in the air with propellers!!) I think it was Utah or Wyoming, not sure.

From a quick read of the Spec Sheet it appears there's 4, Geo: 1 for each track drive and 2 for hoist/swing. Now that Cat is in the diesel-electric RR locomotive business, and buying up heavy equipment competitors like Bucyrus, I'm not surprised by your company's choice. I wouldn't want to lug cable in -30, but lots of folks think cable (as in winch and pulley "cable", not copper) is more responsive than hydraulics, and electric winches and electric motors may be simpler to maintain/swap out than diesel motors .... I'm guessing:)

Last edited:
I'm in the process of getting signed off on the 988 front end loader. They just want to watch me load trucks, which I've done before. Something else to add to my list of equipment they will let me run...

Compactor(Sheep's foot), Smooth drum roll, Rubber Tired Dozer(Rubber Duck)
1.jpg
2.jpg
6.jpg

Articulated Trucks; Dumper, Ejector, and Water Truck
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

793 240Tonne Haul Truck, 16M Grader, 988 Front End Loader
7.jpg
9.jpg
8.jpg

Geo

Last edited:
I was going to post this in the "What Annoyed Me Today" thread but I wasn't sure how to transfer properly sized photos from my "alarm clock" to the forum. When I arrived for my first shift, I did my pre-trip walk around and informed Maintenance that I needed new serrated edges on my grader. The serrated edges dig out the rock from the icy roads. The foreman came out and said that I could run it for the night. The first photo shows the worn edges with about a 1" top to bottom gap. We run rock crush on the road that is call 2 inch minus, which means the biggest stone is 2 inches in diameter, going down to sand. Very good traction for haul trucks, very hard on pick-up tires. With edges like these, all one does is sweep the material off the road and leave the ice.

1.jpg

This is what new edges look like and they last about 6-8 days.

1a.jpg

Geo

Last edited:
1-2 hours to change the edges Mr. Maltby. When you let accountants run your shop, this is what happens. When the openings are less than 2" in height, all you can do is snow removal, but this also removes the crush that provides traction. I told the shop foreman I was going to run around all night with the blade in float to burn the rest of the edges off and he just shrugged and said, "do what you have to do." It was a very long night.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back