MY WORLD

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sadly, I can't afford such nice things. Spent the past weekend in Vancouver and went to John Cleese's "Last Time to See Me Before I Die" tour, a retrospective of his life, very funny.

20131027_192714_1.jpg

Also, the required touristy photos.....for the last four flights,it has become apparent that it is my job to monitor the engines while in-flight.
photo1.jpg

For those that don't know where I am, just off the right stabilizer.
photo 2.jpg

While looking at the terrain on this flight, it finally occurred to me that, if your aircraft is in dire trouble flying through central B.C., a smooth landing is not going to be much of an option
photo 3.jpg

jc3.jpg

jc5.jpg

Terrain similar to what I logged in during the 70's. The logged off area is just below, left of center.
jc1.jpg

One of the ski hills in Vancouver, either Grouse or Seymour Mountain.
jc7.jpg

Geo

Last edited:
By the time I decided I wanted to see Cleese in Calgary, it was sold out. Glad you were able to enjoy it.

Not a place to make a forced landing.
Pilot: "Attention ladys and gentelman. We are about to make an energancy landing so please assume the crach position with your head between your legs ans kiss your @ss goodbye."
:lol:

Anyone who read my post in the "What Annoyed You Today" thread knows I was involved in a shovel move last night. I do not like sitting around doing nothing at work and this move took 11 hours to walk the shovel just over a kilometer.(I informed the foreman later to never do this to me again) The actual walk took about an hour but the prep work of repositioning, adding and subtracting of the electrical cables takes up the majority of time. Sorry for the quality of the pictures as they were sent to me from a cell phone.
The start, the wire basket behind the shovel is used by the operator when he does short moves. He picks it up with the bucket and swings the cable out of the way when he walks.
shovel.jpg

Part of the cable crew moving cable off the berm in -26°C. I felt sorry for them as I debated whether to turn down my heater in the grader or take off another shirt.(The perks of seniority)
shovel.jpg

Of the three graders, mine is the only one with chains so I got "volunteered". Some of the roughly 1.5 kilometers of cable I pulled. The metal contraption is call a Pig, used when extra cable is added. I sat here for four hours.
shovel.jpg

In the background can be seen the cable arches. These allow equipment to pass under but not the shovel. The electrical sub-station is off to the right and there are three sets of cable arches, two of them needed to be dealt with on this move.
shovel.jpg

As we were getting ready to move, I lifted up the blade and ripper, very slowly. I checked the gauges and found this....
shovel.jpg

....the normal operating range for the Hydraulics is in the 40's.

Geo

Last edited:
Many thanks sirs. Aaron, when the temperature gets below -15°C, all the equipment that will be used is kept running 24hrs but the fluids cool down during shift change or idling as I was doing. Before starting the shift I do Hydraulic calisthenics. The cylinders are cycled in and out several times starting with the smallest cylinder and working to the biggest. This takes about 5-10 minutes. On Thursday, I had to run the smaller 14 grader which had sat for 2 days. It took almost 30 seconds(maximum cranking time) for the engine to fire up and 25 minutes for the hydraulics to warm up.

Geo

Both of our shovels and both drills are electric, not diesel powered. Someone feels that electric powered equipment is more cost efficient but I can't see it. First they have to run power lines 90km into the pit. Then there is the cost of moving the shovel such as last night. A diesel digger would have started working after the one hour move as opposed to the ten hour prep work. There always needs to be a man near by to move cable around when the digger moves to a new location within the pit plus an electrician is on standby to cut the power in case cable is added or subtracted. Plus there is the added hazard of equipment running over the cable. As I said, I don't see the savings, but a bean counter somewhere said that this was the way to go. Having said that, the last mine I was in went through four tandem diesel fuel tankers per day.

Geo

Wow, that thing has got to draw a huge amount of power! Could be someone made a bad decision and is now stuck with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back