MY WORLD

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nifty video Mr. Maltby and happy holidays to you, sir, as well. I have had the raven fly by the grader, land, I'll drive by, and he will repeat the process several times. In the other mine, the coyotes would sit directly across from the driver's window. Move the truck forward 20 feet and they would walk up, sit down and stare at you. As for the haul truck/pickup incident, the investigation is still ongoing....the driver either fell asleep or was texting. Buddy said all you could hear over the radio was Kevin(pickup) screaming stop about 20 times. As Andy alluded, normally when a haul truck hits something, that something becomes very flat and the haul truck driver always says they never felt a thing.

Geo

A mock-up of, believe it or not, what our new camp rooms will look like, showed up today and someone sent me photos. I can remember my first logging camp back in '75. You shared a room smaller than this with another guy and there were communal showers and crapper stalls.

photo.JPG

photo(26).JPG

photo(13).JPG

Geo

Nice place to curl up on a cold night after a good camp meal --- and surf the internet forum.

I'd like to know something about the 'cuisine', Geo, having had a taste of BC camp chow (and Newfie and Ontario, too) in the 60's - and it was always damn good. Do you make up a lunch to take out for the mid-shift meal or do they bring food out or do you go into camp?

MM

Nice place to curl up on a cold night after a good camp meal --- and surf the internet forum.

I'd like to know something about the 'cuisine', Geo, having had a taste of BC camp chow (and Newfie and Ontario, too) in the 60's - and it was always damn good. Do you make up a lunch to take out for the mid-shift meal or do they bring food out or do you go into camp?

MM

Hey Mr. Maltby. All hourly and many salary employees pack their own lunches. Compared to the '70s when I started my lunch from scratch, everything is made except for the condiments. PBJs, fish, egg, and a variety of meat sandwiches. Soups and the night before leftovers are also packaged. Home-made egg macmuffins and subs. Whole fruits and if you're making lunch for night shift, the salad bar. For liquids, small juices boxes, bottled water, milk and chocolate milk boxes, tea bags(Red Rose...bleah) hot chocolate packages and coffee is available. Some guys have small portable warmers that you plug into the 12volt system and bring leftovers.

Geo

Somewhere in my basement there's a box with a picture of me in my camp room in Newfoundland. My arms are outstretched and one hand is touching one wall. The other hand is holding a bottle of....ahem...let's say Coke..... and the bottle is touching the other wall.

Quite right Andy and frankly, it's almost embarrassing compared to what we used to have. It looks more like a country club than a camp.
Now ... a typical sit down meal after the day shift .... :)

MM
Supper is usually two courses plus pasta, anything from lamb to lobster though I've been out of camp every time the lobster is served. Four different salads and dessert cooler. Some nights are theme nights, Jamaican, Mexican and Brazilian so far. Breakfast is what ever you want made of eggs, waffles, pancakes, hash browns, pork and beans and six different cereals.

Geo

EDIT; the new camp will also have two gyms and three golf simulators...so I am told.

Gotta admit, I've seen both sides of camps. The last time I stayed in the oil sands, I was shacked up in a management room and it was spacious and pretty nice with its own bath and shower.

First day back in camp this week and this is what awaited us on the first shift. Two haul trucks met at an intersection and a fuel truck got lost during a snow white-out.

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

When the roads get iced up, we call for an articulated truck with an ejector box to spread gravel on the roads. I park where I want them to start spreading the load and they drive by me a 30kph and spread.

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

A casual visitor.

IMG_0460.jpg

Every now and then, while sitting in camp, I'll check the forum and one night this ad popped up.(Wasn't logged in). I'm 58 miles from anything, so Jane, if you're out there, you're getting closer darling....

IMG_0450.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back