Navy CO Loses Her Command

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wonder if she found out who stole the strawberries.

I've been racking my braincell all day trying to remember the name of that movie....I'm pretty sure I've seen it (same one where he sends the ship in a circle while reaming out a sailor with an untucked shirt, and cuts the tow-cable for the divebomb target?), but can't for the life of me remember the name! ITS DRIVING ME FRIKKIN NUTS!!!

ETA: Sweet release! Checked Bogy on IMDB, its "The Caine Mutiny"!!! I'll be able to sleep tonight!

Last edited:
Wonder if she carried ball bearings to roll around between her fingers? Sounds a little like she was trying to cpmpensate for her gender.

I read that on a previous ship she screamed and swore at an RN Navigating officer as she thought that had had run the ship aground, when all that happened was that the ship came out of protected waters into choopy waters and shuddered for a second as the motion changed.

No. She actually trashed the props.

What happened was, they were still steaming out of harbor, and she turned to her bridge crew and told them to "get us the f*** out of here" and promptly ordered 30 knots of speed- while still in the harbor. Well, you know what happens of you floor the gas on a dragster- the same thing happened with the ship; the stern of the ship dipped as the power hit the screws, and since they were still in the harbor, the screws actually hit the bottom and at least one of them was shattered.

At this point, she began screaming at the Royal Navy navigator, and physically assaulting him ("DID YOU RUN MY F****** SHIP AGROUND") and her own crew on the fantail broke out into cheers, because they realized their captain had just trashed the screws of a warship by being a giant idiot, and they naturally assumed that this meant she'd be canned in short order.

When your own crew rejoices when you screw up- because they want to see you in a court-martial- you must be an epic hellhound.

When your own crew rejoices when you screw up- because they want to see you in a court-martial- you must be an epic hellhound.

That is the hallmark of an officer who should not be put in the command of a ship.

It reminds me of a story a neighbor told me when he was an LST sailor in WW2. The captain was such an ******* to his officers and crew that some marines they were transporting from Okinawa offered to shoot him. And he said they were serious.

Thanks for the background info Demetroius. Whole story makes sense now. Woman drivers! (Sorry, could not resist! No offense to our female members intended!)

What happened was, they were still steaming out of harbor, and she turned to her bridge crew and told them to "get us the f*** out of here" and promptly ordered 30 knots of speed- while still in the harbor. Well, you know what happens of you floor the gas on a dragster- the same thing happened with the ship; the stern of the ship dipped as the power hit the screws, and since they were still in the harbor, the screws actually hit the bottom and at least one of them was shattered.

At this point, she began screaming at the Royal Navy navigator, and physically assaulting him ("DID YOU RUN MY F****** SHIP AGROUND") and her own crew on the fantail broke out into cheers, because they realized their captain had just trashed the screws of a warship by being a giant idiot, and they naturally assumed that this meant she'd be canned in short order.

Thanks for putting me right. She was even more stupid than I first thought. You have to wonder who gave her a Cruiser if she made such a hash of a previous command.

I'm not trying to support her, but do you have evidence this occurred? That's pretty damning.

I've been racking my braincell all day trying to remember the name of that movie....I'm pretty sure I've seen it (same one where he sends the ship in a circle while reaming out a sailor with an untucked shirt, and cuts the tow-cable for the divebomb target?), but can't for the life of me remember the name! ITS DRIVING ME FRIKKIN NUTS!!!

ETA: Sweet release! Checked Bogy on IMDB, its "The Caine Mutiny"!!! I'll be able to sleep tonight!

Thats why the "strawberries" reference earlier. :)

It reminds me of a story a neighbor told me when he was an LST sailor in WW2. The captain was such an ******* to his officers and crew that some marines they were transporting from Okinawa offered to shoot him. And he said they were serious.

If anyone would whack somebody and throw them over the side, it'd be a bunch of Marines fresh off Okinawa. After all the dead they've seen, what's one more. Especially if they are an *******.

It is no mystery why she got command. You can bet that politics dictates that a certain number of women are going to get commands and you can also bet that the decision about who gets the command is not only based on qualification.

I understand now that women are now going to serve on submarines.

I'm not trying to support her, but do you have evidence this occurred? That's pretty damning.

Kind of. I can't seem to find the original page where a sailor who served under her spelled out what happened in that harbor, but you can kind of piece it together from official sources like this (the Times article that's all over:)

"Someone came up to me and said, 'We've run aground - she's finished,' " he recalls. "I was flabbergasted. They were jumping for joy and singing on the fantail." As it turned out, one of the ship's propellers had broken. But seven years later, Kaprow still cannot fathom which was worse: that U.S. sailors were openly heckling a captain or that the captain seemed to deserve it. (See the top 10 scandals of 2009.)

So the prop did break. I doubt you can do that simply by ordering 25 knots in rough water. Now former crew the internet over claim it's because she ordered high speed and drag-raced the props into the muck, leading to that damage, but the official navy report (The Admiralty Maritime Law Blog: Navy Inspector General's Report on Holly Graf: Part 1) only says they were "transitioning shoal water," whatever that means.

Unless I can find that one page again, sure, the exact way the prop was broken is hearsay, but I was under the impression that props do not simply bust off on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back