New built ME-262s (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm curious Chris, since your in the same country and speak the language, could you get in touch with Flugwerk and find out why they are making P-51's and not something a little more rare? I mean, there are a over 150 flying P-51 and there are less than 10 of most of the other WWII planes in flying condition, sometimes not any.

I'm sure the answer is the all mighty $$$$, but you know if they can sell 262's, then they could sell 190D's or He-162's or a Do-335 or heck, make a Zero from scratch.

Sorry, it just bugs me that we have types vanishing from existance, but they make types that there are hundreds of. GRRRRRRRRR

Ok, I'm off my soap box.

I happen to agree with you; my personal favorite would be a Do 335, maybe a two-seater version.

I'm wondering what they're going to use for propulsion in the replica P-51's; there aren't that many Merlins left anymore. Most of the recent of examples that people have been able to find were ex-airliner engines that weren't originally built for a fighter.

If I remember right, the 262s were built by doing a tear down of an existing original in the process of restoration. They aren't built from "plans", so there will be differences.

I believe Flugwerk has a pretty good approach to things. They were already building replacement components for Mustangs, so the step to a complete airframe isn't such a huge jump.

- Ivan.

If I remember right, the 262s were built by doing a tear down of an existing original in the process of restoration. They aren't built from "plans", so there will be differences.

I believe Flugwerk has a pretty good approach to things. They were already building replacement components for Mustangs, so the step to a complete airframe isn't such a huge jump.

- Ivan.
Actually, because of inconsistancies and subtle sabotage by the laborers, it was opted to stick to Willy's actual production blueprints and revisions to guarentee the aircraft didn't have any potential flaws.

- Ivan.

Yes; the US Navy loaned a rare Me-262B-1a to the Texas Aircraft Factory so that they could dissassemble it and examine it on the condition that they restore it in the process, and return it to the Navy when they were done (which they did). A great website for this is the Stormbirds website at STORMBIRDS presents the Me 262 Project.

I know that the Collings has one but it's in major rebuild. Seems many problems in the systems of the "original" from the manufacturer so they have to do some major rebuilds.

Scott

Hey guys regarding the canopy: It's been made a slight bit taller because of the large flight helmets worn today, to keep the guy from budding his head against the canopy all the time. They didn't have solid flight helmets back in the day, it was just padded leather.

Other than that it is a perfect reproduction, even the CG is 100% correct. The engines are also of the exact same weight as the original Jumo 004B's because of the casted block around the GE engine to give it the exact same dimensions of the Jumo 004.

Last edited:
Other than that it is a perfect reproduction, even the CG is 100% correct. The engines are also of the exact same weight as the original Jumo 004B's because of the casted block around the GE engine to give it the exact same dimensions of the Jumo 004.

Yes, I had heard that, also; they've also de-rated the J-85's so that Vmax wouldn't be exceeded in level flight. The only major "improvements" over the original Me's (besides the J-85's) are a stronger nose gear (through the use of better materials), and the addition of modern safety equipmenyt, such as IFF transponders and navigation lights.

BTW, does anyone know if the repro Me's are rated for IFR? I suspect that, due to their nature, they are a VFR aircraft only.

Most experimental exhibition jets are issued an ops letter that will specify that. My guess the feds gave it "VFR Only."

That was my guess; the original Me's didn't have enough instruments to qualify them for modern-day IFR.

That was my guess; the original Me's didn't have enough instruments to qualify them for modern-day IFR.
Actually it might but its the FSDO that are reluctant to give and former military or "homebuilt" combat type jet aircraft IFR approval, the liability is too great. If they are going to do it, the feds will make sure the aircraft is operated away from large cities.

Perhaps the engines were derated, b ut the thrust is still considerably higher than the originals. The you-tube film describes them as maximimum speed 560 knots "just like the originals" which isn't really accurate.

- Ivan.

Perhaps the engines were derated, b ut the thrust is still considerably higher than the originals. The you-tube film describes them as maximimum speed 560 knots "just like the originals" which isn't really accurate.

- Ivan.

Yes, they are; IIRC, there is a sticker on the dashboard that ADVISES pilots NOT to exceed 560 KIAS, even though the a/c is fully capable of hitting 600 KIAS. Here is what the official website of the Me-262's, Stormbirds.com, has to say about that:

"In purely theoretical terms, the added power of the J-85 should give the new production Me 262s a speed advantage of at least 75 miles per hour over any previous generation Me 262.

The fact remains that the airframe was never designed to handle the stress loads encountered at speeds in the 600 mile per hour range. To push the aircraft into this environment simply because additional power "happens to be available" is a highly dangerous and ill-advised move.

In the interest of safety, the Me 262 Project will be placing a placarded airspeed limitation upon the jets in the vicinity of 500 MPH. The official position of the project is that there is simply no need -- or benefit -- in flying these aircraft any faster."

Hi Stitch,

My "isn't really accurate" was a comment on the 560 knots not being "just like the originals", so we are basically saying the same thing.

- Ivan.

Yes, they are; IIRC, there is a sticker on the dashboard that ADVISES pilots NOT to exceed 560 KIAS, even though the a/c is fully capable of hitting 600 KIAS. Here is what the official website of the Me-262's, Stormbirds.com, has to say about that:

"In purely theoretical terms, the added power of the J-85 should give the new production Me 262s a speed advantage of at least 75 miles per hour over any previous generation Me 262.

The fact remains that the airframe was never designed to handle the stress loads encountered at speeds in the 600 mile per hour range. To push the aircraft into this environment simply because additional power "happens to be available" is a highly dangerous and ill-advised move.

In the interest of safety, the Me 262 Project will be placing a placarded airspeed limitation upon the jets in the vicinity of 500 MPH. The official position of the project is that there is simply no need -- or benefit -- in flying these aircraft any faster."

That last line is like having a rail dragster and limiting it to highway speeds. They may be right but wouldn't it be nice to go from point A to point B as fast as you could safely. I'm a racer so, I'm kinda biased to "let's go faster" attitude. Sorry guys. Um... I'll leave now.

*Snafud1 leave thread with hands in his pockets, head down , and shuffling his feet.*

It'd be interesting for someone to get ahold of the plans for the "Amerika Bomber" (Ho-18 ) that was in the drawingboard stages (nearing actual production stages, IIRC) when Germany surrendered. THAT beast would be a sight to behold!

Last edited:
The collings 262 was supposed to be at the fly in I went to at the Heber airport in Utah. It even said in the newspaper it was going to be there. It was the main reason I went but it wasn't a total loss the B-24 was there and their B-17g also their TP51C Mustang.

I wonder if they'll make a repo of the Go-229 ? That could be interesting! But also dangerous I suspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back