New built ME-262s

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry Yerger, but you're dead wrong.

Many of the war replicas and warbirds you see are flown by highly experienced pilots, many of them have military backgrounds. For certain recips and jet warbirds you need a "type" rating specific for the aircraft, so there's a lot more training that goes into acquiring one of these ratings. BTW the Hughes H1 that crashed a few years ago was the result of a propeller that came apart when the pilot was flying it back from Oshkosh.

As you say "recreation pilots," I could assure you that the lowest time pilots you might find say flying a T-6 might have 500 hours, so for the most part most of the pilots who fly these warbirds are far from "recreation" pilots. Sometimes many of these warbird owners have more money than brains and crash these aircraft by doing plain stupid things, but in the bigger picture many of these same guys have 1000s of hours and usually hold commercial, instrument, multi-engine and even ATP ratings.

Bottom line, it has nothing to do with skill, it has everyting to do with operating the aircraft safely.

Safety and common sense I'd assumed are obviously aspects of skill. Seems some who are "high rated" lack one or both traits. Just because you have a driving permit doesn't make you the right person to own a 200mph car.

You're original post...

A lot of these birds require major skills most recreation pilots lack

Safety and common sense I'd assumed are obviously aspects of skill.

What are you calling a "recreation pilot?" Some one who doesn't fly professionally, someone who doesn't have a lot of hours, or someone who holds a "recreation pilot's certificate?" Oh there really is such thing!

Skill is your ability to operate the aircraft. I've seen 200 hour pilots do precise landings and instrument approaches and master the aircraft they fly. I've also seen 5,000 hour pilots who are extremely skilled fly defective aircraft, buzz buildings and people, and push landing limits when performing instrument landings. Please understand the difference.

Seems some who are "high rated" lack one or both traits. Just because you have a driving permit doesn't make you the right person to own a 200mph car.
The term is "high time" and for the most part you are correct.

According to the inventory page of Chino Planes of Fame they have a static He-162A-1 on display too.
I seem to recall seeing it and a static Me-163 Komet when I was there.

It hasn't been updated in a while but this is their inventory list of aircraft.
Museum Aircraft Inventory - The Air Museum ~ Planes of Fame

It says the Me-163 is a replica but just that the He-162 is on static display.
Not sure if that means anything.

Wheels

The Collings 262 is powered by CJ610's...same engine that powers Lear Jets...not sure which model of Lear though. It was planned to have the aircraft join the tour in Dallas...that got pushed back to Long Beach...that got pushed back to Moffett...that got pushed back to next year. Sanders ( Sanders Aeronautics) is doing a great job of making this a "turnkey" aircraft that will be able to stand the rigours of touring. I shot these on a photo shoot we did a couple years ago out of Paine Field. Look for it next year.

jim harley

262b.jpg

262c.jpg

Great photos, Jim...must have been awesome to be formed up on that '262!

Well, probably would have been even better if you were shooting photos from inside the '262... :lol:

I always thought it would be cool if they built at least a single "Narwahl" replica (Me262A1/U4)

Thanks for the info, by the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back