Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

flathead

Recruit
Jul 23, 2008
ohio
Hello,

I was talking with my Dad the other day; he drove a double tanker av fuel truck all over Europe for the 9th AF. He had a little collection of photos that I thought you might be interested in.

I tried to scan them but the quality was very poor, only came out in black and white, no gradations showing detail. I will ask a friend with better gear to try and if good, send in later.

One pic is of a B-24. I'll quote his hand-written note from the back: "this thing was a member of our outfit for a while converted B-24 to transport petrol"

I imagine the boys on the ground gave it wide clearance on take-off.

Another pic of C-47 in flight, hard to tell but might have invasion stripes on it. Number "21" behind the cockpit and a big "M" or "H" on the rudder.

Another of same bird on the ground, nose art "Vertigo". Has both cowls off and looks like Dad gassing it up. Must have been chilly or maybe girls around because he has on a leather flight jacket.

3 photos, all of same subject. German twin engine craft with single engine fighter moored to the top. All 3 engines are radial and the planes are in camouflage paint. Crosses on fuselages and swastikas on tails. The planes don't appear damaged. There's some rubble around and a hangar in the background with look like "VITRFT" over the door. On the back, Dad wrote, "German stuff in Denmark or Sweden June 45" On seeing these pix, I was pretty surprised and asked him about them. He was nonchalant and just said, "Oh, we heard there was some airplanes and went up to look at 'em." I think he had quite a bit of freedom to roam around, he was a sergeant and as I know him, a very responsible fellow. He wasn't a smart aleck nor did he take any crap. Still that way at almost 85.

Sorry for the teaser, I hope I can get better photos.

Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill:

Welcome to the site. Believe me, we'd all be interested in seeing the pic's
albeit of poor quality. What part of Ohio do you call home...

Charles

Thank you, sir. I'm from NE Ohio, east of Cleveland. Originally from a farm town in Pennsylvania. Sailed in various regattas on the Tonkin Gulf, our boat was flat on top, grey and had a white "65" painted on it.

Thanks, Bill

First of all welcome to the forum!

The German aircraft you were describing sound like Mistels. The Mistel project was about turning a twin engine aircraft into a flying missile that was steared to the aircraft by a single engine fighter.

Most likely the ones you are describing are Mistels made of Junker Ju 88's as the missile and a Bf 109 or Fw 190 fighters as the carrier.

The twin engined aircraft were actually powered by inlines not radials. The cowlings just make them look like radials, except for some varients which were powered by BMW-801s which were radials.

Do your pics look anything like this one of a Mistel in flight:

Mistel-2.gif

Thank you, sir. The aircraft in your photo look very similar. I assumed, as you say, that the shape of the cowl indicated radial engines on the twin.

I am no expert, but is the upper a/c in your photo a 109? In my father's photo, it appears to be an FW190 with a radial, or at least cowl shape thereof.

The lower a/c in my father's photo is very similar to yours except the top surface of the vertical stabilizer is flat/straight, not curved over its top.

Precisely, if not the same machine! That is even a better photograph!

My mission here is apparently complete. Thank you for your brief interest and comradeship!

I will post my photos for the archive if they turn out.

Carry on!

Thanks, Bill

Sailed in various regattas on the Tonkin Gulf, our boat was flat on top, grey and had a white "65" painted on it.

Thanks, Bill

I know "The Big E" very well, Bill. I was on both the Saratoga [plank owner]
and the Essex. I retired in '71... are you retired USN ?? Unfortunately,
my tour of "Nam" was in-country with the Capital Division of the Korean
Army. Serve there '66 and '67.

Do stick around.... I thought I saw a post that said you were finished here.
There are a lot of good people here, from around the world. A bottomless
pit of usefull information, if you will. Excellent model builders, and folks from
all walks of life. Active duty military, retireds, college grads, pilots, and
even some students. There is one member that paints [real] aircraft for
a living ! As I said, a lot of good people...... I have made lots of friends here
in only a year. So, stick around !

Oh.... belay the "sir".....

Charles

Well, I didn't mean to just hit run. I have a life-long interest in airplanes but my knowledge is insignificant compared to what I see here, and that's not false modesty. I guess it's sort of like the difference between being a careful observer and a passionate student. One who can fairly well describe the look and sound but can't remember the serial number or squadron markings.

I first flew with my father in his Ercoupe in the early fifties. My job as a six or seven year old was to polish my little assigned section of aluminum. In '57 my Dad got a Tri-pacer and I am told I shook Bill Piper's hand, but it must not have impressed me. In the early sixties, after scrutinizing months of Trade-a-Planes, we brought the bones of a gullwing Stinson home. The spare Lycoming in the basement was a source of awe to me. I loved that plane; the smokey-blue cloud on startup, the great bloody roar lifting off from the grass, the twine-wrapped yokes, but especially the freedom of going nowhere but flying.

One of my first jobs in the Navy was polishing the aluminum skin on the Admiral's Super Constellation. I was at Memphis NAS, waiting to get into the next class on aviation electronics. They said the Lockheed used be Ike's but I didn't know if was the Columbine or not, didn't much care, it was a gorgeous plane.

Worked on E2-A's during my service from 67-71. Always on the west coast, sometimes WestPac.

Aside from the above types, I've flown/rode/drove Stearman, Waco, Standard, various Grumman, B-17, some fighter trainer they have down in Georgia that my wife bought me a weekend on, and the usual late model stuff.

That's all I got for now.

Thanks, Bill

That's real good for a start, Bill. You'll fit in around here rather well. We
have those who know the squadron, markings and type of aircraft that
ever flew in what-ever war you want to talk about. Others, like me,
stay away from the technical stuff. I just enjoy talking to people about
airplanes. I've flown in quite a few myself, from the N3N to the B-36.

Read the threads.... contribute.... ask questions. You'll be right at home.

Charles

Well, I didn't mean to just hit run. I have a life-long interest in airplanes but my knowledge is insignificant compared to what I see here, and that's not false modesty. I guess it's sort of like the difference between being a careful observer and a passionate student. One who can fairly well describe the look and sound but can't remember the serial number or squadron markings.

I first flew with my father in his Ercoupe in the early fifties. My job as a six or seven year old was to polish my little assigned section of aluminum. In '57 my Dad got a Tri-pacer and I am told I shook Bill Piper's hand, but it must not have impressed me. In the early sixties, after scrutinizing months of Trade-a-Planes, we brought the bones of a gullwing Stinson home. The spare Lycoming in the basement was a source of awe to me. I loved that plane; the smokey-blue cloud on startup, the great bloody roar lifting off from the grass, the twine-wrapped yokes, but especially the freedom of going nowhere but flying.

One of my first jobs in the Navy was polishing the aluminum skin on the Admiral's Super Constellation. I was at Memphis NAS, waiting to get into the next class on aviation electronics. They said the Lockheed used be Ike's but I didn't know if was the Columbine or not, didn't much care, it was a gorgeous plane.

Worked on E2-A's during my service from 67-71. Always on the west coast, sometimes WestPac.

Aside from the above types, I've flown/rode/drove Stearman, Waco, Standard, various Grumman, B-17, some fighter trainer they have down in Georgia that my wife bought me a weekend on, and the usual late model stuff.

That's all I got for now.

Thanks, Bill

That is all reasons to stick around...:D

Hang around flathead! I love the world appeal of this place and don't bother with knowing too much. Me and Lucky aren't that bright either but they keep him and me around to remind them how bright they are!! :):):)

Kidding aside, this is a great place! Welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back