Not Mine/Airfix 1/24 Mosquito

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Certainly looks a real beaut. I was wondering how someone had one already, as it's not due for release until December (at last!). Then I noticed the author/modeller is the editor of a British modelling magazine!
Still can't bring myself to pay £130 instead of the original £80 though. And come down in price in the future? NO WAY!!
I believe it's also a 'limited edition', so I suspect the e-bay speculating mob will probably buy-up a few, and in a year or so, they'll be asking really silly money!

Terry if Airfix is really intent is to throw this into production and they do I would think in time just like many other kits the price starts to drop at the HS.Remember what we see for a price from Airfix is the suggested minimum price they can charge so as not too undersell there distributors the LHS.I know from my end that merchandise in the auto industry is marked up a minimum of 100%+ then if a shop moves it another 50-100% happens.This gives the guys at the LHS to run sales and still pull a profit.Kevin

I do understand what you mean Kevin, and it might happen in the U.S., but doubtful here in the U.K. I agree, it may drop a tad in price through some of the 'bargain' on-line outlets, such as Model Hobbies in the U.K., but we'd only be talking £5, maybe £10, which doesn't get away from the fact that the kit was originally announced more than eighteen months ago, for release in September 2008, put back to October, then December, then October this year, and was advertised at a selling price, and advance orders accepted, at £80 - now, it's 60% more than that!!
Also, only about 4 or 5 years ago, the old Airfix 1/24th scale Bf109E was around £25 to £30, and the P51 around £35, now they're £40 and £50 respectively - the P51 was £2.75 when first introduced in 1973, and it's still the same moulds, turning out the same, inaccurate, ill-fitting kit. So, the chances of a reduction in price, in the UK at least, are minimal - unless there's a lack of sales, and a price reduction is forced.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'knocking' the kit, or, to an extent, the current asking price. What I strongly object to is the way Airfix have gone about things, with an extended delay, and the huge price increase announced twelve months ago, when we were still waiting for the kit. If it had been advertised originally at £130, even with the delays, then I for one would have accepted it, and probably been happy to wait - more time to save the cash! But, like many customers of, for example, a well-known, long-established outlet, I cancelled my advance order (through my local shop) purely on principal.
Some may disagree with me, but it smells strongly of "Hmm. Let's see what the market reaction is. Oh look! They're crying out, begging for it. Right! We can almost double the price then!!"

I wonder how he did those little pleasing effects in the interior and exterior.. I know oil paint, but in what fashion.. I need to learn all this! :oops:

If you man the different tones around the floor and so on Mag, then I doubt it's oil paint. More likely to be pre-shading I think - or post shading.

Couldn't agree more Terry ,

Would of been great if they'd opted for Revell's approach , sell more at a lower price = overall higher return ( possibly)

150 would of been reasonable ,

Btw Terry , do you know where this kits being made? china/india? UK? :shock:

I'd say China and if its the case they CANNOT justify the price. Outsourcing means cost reduction with reasonable RRP with decent returns. If the price is still extortionate I can't see how Airfix can justify it. If UK made perhaps maybe a little less.

I do however think it is a wonderful piece of plastic engineering.

If its china they definately just lost me as a possible future customer - what a reputation airfix are ruining

*waits for revell to re-release their big Mossie*

Not sure where it's actually moulded Daniel, but I have a feeling it might be China. When Airfix were still part of the same group as Humbrol, and bought Heller, the production was moved to France. I know some kits at least are now produxced by 'someone, somewhere' in the UK, but I believe that at least parts of, or some complete kits, are produced via outsourcing. Some are even originally from other manufacturers, according to some ads for certain kits, replacing the original Airfix mouldings. One of the 1/48th scale Spits, at least, is an example.

Attachments

• mos.jpg
    mos.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 184
  • mos1.jpg
    mos1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 181

Users who are viewing this thread

Back