Old Airfix Supermarine Spitfire MKVB in VVS livery

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

djos

Airman 1st Class
Nov 16, 2009
Belgrade, Serbia
This is old and well known Airfix Spitfire Mk Vb. It is OOB only i add plastic card to fill wheel well (between wings) and re-scribe panel lines, to get some updated look.
Model is prepared for wash and final coat of mat warmish and weathering.
Also some final details are missing: mirror, yellow tips on propeller blades, guns should be gun metal...etc...

There is point where i need some help. I checked lot of information on the net, lot of pictures and profiles, but every time the same aircraft is presented with different details. Preciselly i need info if this plane had yellow edge on the wings. According to reference from AML (manufacturer of decals) there no obvious presence of yellow edge on the wings.
So i need advice if somebody know where i should look reference for this plane or simmilar one, as i am not sure if Spitfires in Russia had yellow edge or not. After i clarify this, i will finalize wash and weathering of this machine.

Model represent Spitfire Mk Vb from 57 Guard Fighter Regiment January 1943.

Thanks in advance for help

sp5b020_zpsaee354e5.jpg

sp5b015_zps6e834683.jpg

sp5b011_zps8265b5d2.jpg

sp5b012_zps742fd1d1.jpg

sp5b013_zpsea7527de.jpg

sp5b015_zps6e834683.jpg

sp5b022_zps429b31d0.jpg

sp5b010_zpsb711120b.jpg

Last edited:
EP210 was built at Castle Bromwich and then passed through two Maintenance Units in the UK (it was at 6MU on 2nd June 1942 and 47MU on 7th July 1942) before arriving in Bandar Shahpur (Iran) on 23rd October 1942. It arrived in the USSR on 11th January 1943.
Though the aircraft didn't see service with the RAF (the Soviets had complained about he second hand aircraft they were receiving) it would certainly have been finished to the current requirements of the Day Fighter Scheme, introduced in August 1941, at one of those places, Castle Bromwich or the first MU.
This means that the 4" wide leading edge stripe would have been applied. What the Russians did subsequently I have no idea.
Cheers
Steve

Thank you for detailed and promptly answer. From this point of view, i think that yellow edge should be applied.
Thank you again.
Best regards

Also note that only a few inches of cannon barrel protruded from the fairing and would indeed be a metallic colour. The fairing was painted in the camouflage colours.

The yellow propeller tips were only 4" (just over 10cms). They, like the leading edge stripes, are often far too wide on models.

Cheers

Steve

Here is a pic of the Spitfire. Unfortunately the yellow leading edges of the wing aren't seen.

Spitfire_538_EP210.jpg

But here these are...

Spitfire_003.jpg

abd here it is quite difficult to say.. but...

Spitfire_001.jpg

It may be a matter of which scheme the aircraft had been finished in, and where.
EP210 was finished in the UK and in the DFS, therefore the yellow stripes would have been applied. An aircraft that found its way to the USSR via Middle East Command, having been repainted at one of its MUs in a desert scheme probably would not have the stripes.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks, some of those pictures i used in research period, but as you said, not very easy to define.
Your info is very helpful in making decision what to do, and i think that i will put yellow edge (wrong or not) as this plane had sky band on the tail probably just standard approach, so same approach will be for spinner, wing edge....

THANK YOU A LOT FOR HELP

Best regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back