P-40 Twin

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Amazing what you can do cutting and pasting in Paint isn't it :lol:
I actually did that with a busted up Monogram P-38 model way back in grade school. Did it with an old P-61 model too. I was a big fan of the Flight of the Phoenix movie back then. They're probably still in a box up in the attic somewhere.

There hasn't been much progress here lately because of decal issues. I had intended I to use the left over decals from the P-40 I made in the last GB, but they have gone missing along with the ziplock bag containing the bulk of my spare decals. I had hoped it would turn up but it hasn't so on to plan "B". I still have the decals that came with these two kits and the older ones have the US stars, although they are slightly yellow, so they are now in the windshield of my car being bleached by the sun. Also I want to add a "Wright" arrowhead on each side of the fuselage as my "story" will be that this aircraft was being evaluated at Wright field. I was just thinking about how I was going to make these arrow heads up when I caught Bills kind offer to add to a decal sheet he was having made up for his Havoc, so it seems the decal issues are solved although it will still be a little wile before I'm putting them on
hpqscan0001-.jpg

Last edited:
It's a sod when things you know you have, go missing. I spent two days, last week, looking for a standing pilot figure I knew I had, but couldn't find it. Turned up, where I'd put it, in the spares box - which was the first place I'd looked, two days earlier!

The decals are looking good after a week in the sun and will be ready when I get the arrowheads from Bill. I did some work on the missalanous parts tonight. I tried to use sheet plastic for the wheel well doors but it didn't work because of the compound curve needed so I cut up a Luftwaffe drop tank and with a lot of filing and sanding they worked out (pictures 1 2). I also cleaned up and painted the exhaust stacks (picture 3)
Picture 4 is the 1/32nd scale tanks Terry kindly sent me for the rear upper nacelles of the 1/48th version of this very strange fighter.
PB260544.JPG
PB260545.JPG
PB260546.JPG
PB260555.JPG

Last edited:
That's where I first saw it George. I thought about putting on Shark mouths on both engines but I wanted to depict it at Wright field for testing and somehow I don't think they would be putting shark mouths on their test aircraft. (that and the fact that I don't have two matching shark mouth decals). When I do the 1/48th version as a Merlin engine production model maybe I'll put on shark mouths

Decals may become yellowish over time. Especially, it can be noticed both with the clear base and white parts. Staying in the sunlight for some time causes disappearing of the yellowish effect. It is the cheapest way for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back