P51-D "Snifter"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The plane with decals and clear coat is done, I have started the weathering.

I have noticed the front window is abit messy but ill bog it up and sand before i apply the black paint to the top of the nose.

Attachments

• IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 55
Greedy, ... $#$ YOU ROCK! What brand of metalizer did you execute with? [Also what drill bit size for the rivets, my corsair is going to possibly need some love after my sanding for the seam]

I just used a needle with a file, use the file too grind two sides of the needle. Next use a pin vice and just put the needle in and use like a drill. (see pic below)

As for the paint your not going to beleave me! I used tamiya arcylic gunmetal as the base coat sand any areas that still need to be fixed. Apply another coat of gunmetal. Make sure you let it dry!! then hit it with Chrome silver (x-11). Let dry again and clear coat.

A japeness mate told me about that ;)

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 58
Im sorry to inform every the snifter is no longer in the ball game. Due to a bad clear coat and masking for the black spray paint. The tape has pealed of the decals and im not sure if ill be able to get another set. :cry:

Attachments

• IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 77
Ok if i dont hear back from dragon im going to stencile the FA to the side of then plane and even try to make masks up for the snifter and try to spray the image onto a decal sheet.

Sh*t that's bad luck mate! Which decals do you need? I might have some of them that would help, but not the nose-art of course. For that, you'd be better off drawing it in drafting inks, onto white or clear decal sheet.
I know it's a bit late now, but it might help for future builds: ANY metallic surface, clear-coated or not, is a pain for reacting with masking tape and 'solid' colours. I normally paint any solid colours first, such as the anti-glare panel, and mask that before brushing or spraying the 'silver'. Apart from anything else, it also prevents any metallic pigments migrating into the 'solid' colour's base, giving a speckle effect.
I hope you can save it, (it doesn't look too bad) as you've done a good job so far, and must feel gutted. Give me a shout re the decals, and I'll see what I've got in the decals files.
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back