Politics section to be closed permanently

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One question though, will the politics subforum disappear completely, and be replaced with something else instead?

Parsifal, a majority of the users here were tolerant and respectful. Unfortunately, there were some people who came here only looking to post in that section and/or stirring up trouble. We did not want the politics section of the website to derail what this was set up for.

Noticed that. Did some posting in the Political Section, but went there only on New Posts. Didn't go looking. But it seemed there were number of people who showed up just to hang around the politics section and flame. More and more of them, as a matter of fact.

Probably easier on the mods too. Less work reading through a post by someone who's opinion you couldn't stand and sit there thinking, "Is this over the line or is it just standard BS?". Checking posts on aircraft perfomance specs has got to be a lot easier.

Agree with it. Hell with the Political section. Like I was told as a little boy, "Policital opinions are like assholes. Everybody has them and they all stink".

well, I think its sad reflection on all of us that we lacked the maturity and tolerance to be able to discuss political issues openly and tolerantly. Its a sad lesson for all of us I think

Its called human nature and thats why there are rules - to enrich our better angels, not feed our base vulgarities. :)

At the risk of being banned permanantly, just what does the Breaking News thread have to do with WWII Aviation;) Sometimes that thread is the only reason I get up in the morning/afternoon, that and Beer.

I think a good decission, although a sad one.
IMO the political thread was a good one at first, very interesting from my part as a European to talk with US people about their views. I found it very interesting discussing with people like TO and Renrich and many more. Lately, especially since start of US election, however, all that seems to be discussed was Obama and how bad he was. On the whole the discussions became superficial and even sometimes harsh for people not agreeing with the majority. So I stopped contributing. Whether you like it or not, Obama is the US president, not president of the whole world and this is an international board, not just American. So complaining about him is OK, but doing so for a whole freakin' years is boring.
It's sad that a potential very valuable thread for most of us has been closed. I like to think many of our right wing US friends and left wing Europeans like me have come to get some understanding of each other in the earlier days of the Forum. But under the current circumstances I think it is for the best to close it.

I have never considered talking politics "bullshit" as much as I considered politics to be "bullshit". I for one will miss the politics section but I suppose I would be in the minority on that one.

That is the problem. It never can stay peaceful. Both sides bicker and bitch and moan.

Its a pity the poltics thread closed especiially now we have the row over MP's expenses here.

I don't know anywhere else in the world where your local politician can claim expenses for the upkeep of their moat. Perhaps we could have a comedy section for this and Obama's stand up routine?

I'm sorry on the decision.
I have not participiated pol discussions here but have read them time to time and found them very interesting. Here in Finland it's easy to get info what so called liberal americans think but almost impossible to get info on more conservative thinking. i have especially enjoyed Renrich's and Drgondog's, to name a few, comments.But I admit that after all this is mostly aviation site.

Juha

I have never considered talking politics "bullshit" as much as I considered politics to be "bullshit". I for one will miss the politics section but I suppose I would be in the minority on that one.

I agree with Amsel. I have found the politics stimulating and informative and educational. As a deep South Southern Baptist, I have always been surrounded by people of similar philosophies. Experiencing opinions of others has been an education in looking at my opinions, questioning them, and researching information. Many times my positions has been challenged and forced me to research and sometime realign my thoughts. I hope some of my post has encouraged others to step out of their worlds to view thing from several sides also, and do research. At work, one of the guys in my cubical had a doctorate in physics, and was a atheist, and a liberal, and a Democrat. We had some great arguments, some heated, but, you know, I miss that, and I think we are still friends, although we have lost contact (thats one body that will never be found!:D).

I am not sure the arguments on this site has motivated any thing more hostle than some vile, but not damaging, words, or at least shouldn't. Maybe, it has encouraged some to learn to address differences of opinion in a civilized manor. I hope I have not said anything personal to others, if so, I apoligize.

I think this is a loss.:(

I will miss the politics thread to a certain degree, I found it interesting to see the global diversity of people's views on thier local and world politics.

But then again, the discussion of politics has been known to start a few fist-fights, brawls and the occasional war...

As one whose first thread was in the politics section, I will miss it.

But unless some genius finds a way to defang the flamer in all of us, this is a decision that is about time.

And it's not as if this is a panacea...from what I see discussing aircraft alone inflames egos enough so that the mods have to ban 5-6 people a year ... or maybe even more!

As one whose first thread was in the politics section, I will miss it.

But unless some genius finds a way to defang the flamer in all of us, this is a decision that is about time.

And it's not as if this is a panacea...from what I see discussing aircraft alone inflames egos enough so that the mods have to ban 5-6 people a year ... or maybe even more!
I have seen them ban like 20-35 people(mostly spammers).

Never discuss politics and religion with friends....that is what we are here. I learn so much from all of you with regards to WW2 Aviation. If we need a dose of bickering just turn on Cable news of any stripe. Let's get back to planes and pilots!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back