Pre War Spitfire

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

muller

Tech Sergeant
Apr 7, 2008
Hibernia
I'm building the Airfix spit I got for my birthday for my dad, I'll build a grassy base for it and give it to him when its finished.

Cockpit pretty much done, sticking the fuselage halves together now then wings on. It'll be brown/green camo, undersides aluminium with 2 blade prop.

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled1-1.jpg

Not a bad kit, for an Airfix!

Looking good so far M. I've heard it's a very nice kit, better than Tamiya's, with options for early and war-time variants. Got one on my list of things to get... possibly next year's BoB GB?

It's 1/48th Daniel.
Wayne, it's wrong of me to comment direct on the Airfix kit, as I've only seen photos of it during and after a build. However, judging by the reviews, and the comments of those who have built it, the kit is regarded as being as good as, and in some areas better than, the Tamiya kit (which I have built.) The surprising thing (for 'todays' Airfix) is it's relatively low price, around £11.
I have spotted that the internal parts seem common to the early '80's MkV though, which was excellent for the time.
Sorry M, back to your thread!

No probs Crunch.

LGE-314.jpg

Don't know if its better than the Tamiya kit, it needed a bit of filling and sanding, something I've never had to do with a Tamiya, but maybe that was the way I put it together! Right now fuselage is closed, wings on, filled and sanded waiting a shot of primer.

Wayne, it's wrong of me to comment direct on the Airfix kit, as I've only seen photos of it during and after a build. However, judging by the reviews, and the comments of those who have built it, the kit is regarded as being as good as, and in some areas better than, the Tamiya kit (which I have built.) The surprising thing (for 'todays' Airfix) is it's relatively low price, around £11.
I have spotted that the internal parts seem common to the early '80's MkV though, which was excellent for the time.
Sorry M, back to your thread!

It's not a problem.....I haven't seen it up close either Terry, but like you have built the Tamiya Spit and it is a simple shake'n' bake, I always recomend it to anyone that wants a good starter kit!

...anyways keep at it Muller!:D

She's been painted, and Kleared, some decals are on, having a bit of hassle getting the underwing roundels to sit, there's a few lumps they don't like conforming to. Right now they're slathered in Mr.Mark Softer to see if they'll sit down! Airfix decals are made from acetate!! Will post some pics soon.

Took those pics today :D

Here's one from before paint went on. I cut the door out, cockpit will be open.

SL381974.jpg

Paint and some decals on.

SL381977.jpg

The offending roundel decals, they're not too bad now.

SL381976.jpg

Painting the fiddly bits now.....

Looking spiffing M! I'm rather surprised the door isn't moulded separately, like their Spit 22 kit - makes me think they've used the main moulds from the MkV - still looks a nice kit though, and you're doing a grand job so far Keith.

Cheers lads :)

Yeah Wojtek, Hu56. Apparently the early spits had aluminium colour painted undersides.

Yes it was one of the RAF camo scheme.But I asked because it doesn't look like silver on my screen.... Really nice work.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back