RCAF Starfighter, 1/48th scale - Part Two (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh boy.. now I see. The clothes you put on sound really warm. So it must have been really very cold in the wind. Here it was a quite nice day yesterday. Today it's a sunny but still quite cold one. But there was a frost at night.

Last edited:
Yes, it's been changeable here too. I got caught in a heavy snow storm early on Saturday morning - not much by central European or Canadian standards, but 50mm in 20 minutes or less, whilst trying to go up a fairly steep hill on my little scooter, was quite a challenge. Then, half an hour later, the sun was shining, the temperature was mild, and the snow had gone!
Today it's calm and sunny, but still fairly cold, and even with the heating on full in the house, it's still not warm.
Roll on Spring and Summer !

Thanks for the good wishes Michael !
I don't mind the cold, and snow, when skiing - but I can't do that anymore, and the snow here in the UK is normally a horrible wet, cold type - darned miserable when it lies frozen for ages. Thankfully, we haven't had much this year, and there are already signs of spring.

Thanks Hugh.
I wasn't able to get much done these last few days, due to lack of sleep and stiff hands, but I've finally managed to get the first stage of painting done.
The second colour scheme used on the Danish Starfighters was overall matt 'Forest Green', which weathered heavily and was eventually replaced by a gloss version, FS14079, which is available in the Xtracolor (gloss) enamel range.
As I wanted to portray the aircraft in the 'early days' of its matt finish, the paint, if used straight from the tin, would be too dark, so a touch of yellow was added, and the entire model sprayed in variated depth in the resultant yellowish green, as shown in the somewhat poor photo below (I'd just got back in from the cold, and my hands were numb, hence the lack of sharpness in the photo!).
When this has fully dried, progressively darker shades will be misted on, to give a slightly faded, weathered appearance, before highlighting various fuselage section joints and panel lines in the 'true' colour.
It's quite amazing how ragged some of these aircraft looked before the introduction of the gloss finish, rather like some outdoor museum exhibits in desperate need of a re-paint, although I'm hoping I can achieve a slightly less weathered look eventually.
I'll post more progress pics once I get the next step done.

Attachments

• DSCF0002 (10).JPG
    DSCF0002 (10).JPG
    124 KB · Views: 59
It is a good step forward Terry, I really like your plane. :notworthy:

Winter is too cruel in several parts.
My kids live in the city of Monterrey, N.L. (north of the country),
and it is no longer so cold season are foggy, rainy and 2 ° C, (nothing like the real cold of northern USA, Canada and Europe :happy9: :happy2: :happy9:) .... and I here in Mexico City with sun and 25 ° C. 8)
You are welcome to take a little sunshine around here. :occasion5:

Pending the outcome of this Starfighter, I send you a hug.

Saludos :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back