Regia Aeronautica Bf 109 G-4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I could have done it freehand, as I did on the sides, but the straight demarcation lines with sharp angles lead me to think that masks have been used on the real bird as well, but may be I'm wrong.
And this is what I'm trying to understand, may be for the next model.
Alberto

HI,
I found this picture on Kagero Monograph n.22 dedicated to Bf 109 G/K
BF109G20001-vi.jpg

Even if it is referred to factory fresh G2s and not to a G4, it confirms that hard edge demarcation existed, so I feel a bit better.
Alberto

Hi,
a few steps forward:

I added repainting done by Italians to cover German insigna.
For this particular bird there is photographic evidence that RA airmen didn't just covered German markings with gray paint but also added some "Verde oliva scuro" patches.
DSCN1419-vi.jpg

DSCN1422-vi.jpg

DSCN1420-vi.jpg

DSCN1423-vi.jpg

"Grigio azzurro chiaro" paint also sprayed underwing.
DSCN1417-vi.jpg

As you may have noticed, I also added the white cross on the fin and the fuselage band.
Next step will be to cover everything with Future and then add decals.
Finally to add some details left for the last minute.
Any comment/suggestion is welcome as always.
Alberto

Hi,
since I retired from work, I normally spend the Summer season on my house on the coast of Tuscany

Cinquale 2.jpg

So I did this year as well, so almost no modelling for three months.
I said "almost" because something I did, absolutely O.T. for this forum: I spent some time adding some rigging to this wooden galleon:

DSCN1449.JPG
DSCN1450.JPG
DSCN1451.JPG

(To be continued next Summer ...)

In the mean time I received the Stormo decals I needed for my G4 and next week, being back in Milan, I should be able to post new photos.
I also started the CR32 from Silver Wings and I will start a new thread for her.
Cheers
Alberto

Looks like a nice place Alberto. I always have wanted to do a wooden sail ship model like that but would not know where to put it or how to keep the dust off it. Nice work on that, What ship is it?

Hi,
the ship is a Spanish 74 cannon ship called San Juan Nepomuceno that participated to the Trafalgar battle.
Spanish ship San Juan Nepomuceno - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Space to do and to keep her is the main reason why I'm working on her only when I'm in my holiday house: not enough space in my little flat in Milan.
Alberto

Last edited:
OK,
back in Milan I did some work on my G4:
- modified German camou as was done by Italian service men in order to cover German insignia on wings and fuselage
- added decals,
- coated everything with Future

DSCN1472-vi.jpg

DSCN1471-vi.jpg

DSCN1473-vi.jpg

DSCN1474-vi.jpg

DSCN1476-vi.jpg

DSCN1477-vi.jpg

To follow:
- blend everything to tune down color contrast
- add some weathering
- add last little details

Any comment and/or suggestion is more then welcome, as usual.
Alberto

Many thanks to all for your comments.
By the way, an Italian expert, on a different forum, reminded me that wing roundels for Regia Aeronautica 109 were mostly made with a particular mask, as seen here:
Colore7_clip_image033-vi.jpg

What is noticeable in this mask is that there is no interruption in 12 o'clock position so, before going on, I had to adjust that
DSCN1480-vi.jpg

DSCN1482-vi.jpg

Also worth of notice is that I have decals from three different brands: all with the same mistake.
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back