RIP: Donald Blakeslee

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Remember reading a story about him that occured during the war. There was a standing order that no women were allowed in the officers rooms. One day, an Air Marshall (going on memory so the story is a bit sketchy) shows up at the Airfield and wants to meet the American pilots. It's relatively early in morning. So the base commander and Air Marshall head off to the officers berthing. Word gets around that some big wigs are comming and people start to get their act together, including Blakeslee. The two officers are walking down a path to Blakeslee's hut when they see two WAAF's crawl out the window and scurry away.

Rumor is, the Air Marshall turned to the Wing Commander and said, "For one woman, he should be up on charge. But for two women, he oughta be promoted!"

Didn't hear about it in the U.K., but surprised it wasn't on national news in the U.S.A. Don Blakeslee was one of the greatest leaders, of ANY air force.
R.I.P. , Eagle to Fourth.

Didn't hear about it in the U.K., but surprised it wasn't on national news in the U.S.A. Don Blakeslee was one of the greatest leaders, of ANY air force.
R.I.P. , Eagle to Fourth.

amen - one of the great combat leaders that didn't quite 'fit in' during peacetime. He was one tough SOB and I salute him.

I met him but didn't really know him except by reputation. He was not one to hang out with "Associations"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back