Show Us Your Artwork!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Terry, Aaron, Bill and Jan! :)

Thanks Terry, that's closer to what I was thinking, just couldn't get the effect/ balance right yet... the idea being to 'anchor' the car at the rear wheel, the nose appearing to come out of the picture at you.

Will work on a scrap drawing today to see what looks right, then make changes acordingly. The original has taken a battering over the last couple of days.

Cheers agin for the comments and advice guys!

Slight update, and morning light pic....

Cobbles lightened a little and 'almost' final renderings done to the car itself... what are your opinions ?

Background/ surroundings still TBD, playing round with everyone's ideas on a test sketch.

...speaking of which, Bill: what did you mean by lettering? My dad suggested writing the name of the car (and owner - which I rejected) on the sketch.
I have done this once on a Lohner L98 Moped sketch I did for the wife of the last company owner, but noone seems to like it much. Not sure if because of the writing, subject, or my rendering. Maybe that one needed a Viennese cobbled road around it...

Note: yes, screwed up the front wheel on the Lohner a little, sadly - regretted every time I look at it. (Photo of my print here)
Bent number plate, dirt marks, and non standard positioning of horn on right side are all correct for her personal moped however.

Also: writing is actually straight, camera lens always distorts the pictures (and 'serie' is correct - it's Deutsch!)

STA53563.JPG

STA53564.JPG

Last edited:
It's looking good Evan. Regarding the name of the car/title. Details as required or desired can be written on the back of the paper, and signed (creates provenance), but any title would be better when framed, as a separate 'title card', within its own 'aperture' cut into the framing mat card, or perhaps mounted on the card, below the picture, centralised. A further card can be attached to the rear of the frame, in the style of the 'title card', to which further details can be added below the main text, such as details of type, year of production (of car), date of drawing, artist details etc, and can also be signed if desired.
Looking forward to seeing the progression with the added soft detail.

Cheers Wayne and Terry, much appreciated!

Terry, thanks, my thoughts exactly re the seperate card in the frame instead of on the picture. My dad didn't like the idea, but I don't intend making the 'Lohner mistake' again...

Been playing with ideas, most likely version below. Beauty is, it combines atleast one of everyone's suggestions :) Let me know what you think.

Spent the last 2 hours studying ornate lamp posts too, some ideas below. Thinking a straight pole with basic Victorian details.

STA53569.JPG

STA53570.JPG

Evan great sketches the more the better bud............... must be the teacher type in me but; like the post but make it smaller on the finished work, maybe something at the base that appears lateral to go with some cobbles/street on the other side of the vehicle, like a curb-street corner or whatever fancies in your mind..... in fact continue the cobble appeal by the curb and just a few for accent but in odd numbers.....

Getting there Evan. I agree with Erich re the lamp post. And perhaps move it 'back' a bit, and bring it central, between the radiator grille and the windscreen. As it's positioned now, it's overpowering the main subject, and looks 'lost'. By moving it 'back' in perspective, and towards the central area, with the horizontal line of part of a kerb at it's base, will create depth to the overall scene, and emphasis the main subject, bringing the latter 'out of the frame' to the viewer, with an almost 3D effect.

Cheers Terry, will play around with the idea today. Added a small section of metal fence last night and Ivett said it looked better too, post the updates later.

Alot of idea testing again, these are the best 3 versions (esp. the last IMO, 2nd in Ivett's).

The effect of the lamp post reduced in size didn't look right to me, no matter where or how placed. More effective was the simple removal of the original lamp head and fading out the post around car top height.
Version here was the last, testing a hanging lamp head idea, fading out with uppermost portions not to be drawn. (Nor horizontal rail in centre of fence)

(since posting, just had acouple more ideas with the lamp...hmmm get back to yas on those)

If I go the chain fence idea, the pillar and chains will be slightly lighter than the car, the bush and paving much lighter again, just one or two leaves and cobbles highlighted for effect.

Your thoughts please! :)

STA53579.JPG

STA53580.JPG

STA53581.JPG

Last edited:
might be a balance thing, but I deffo prefer the last two over the tall lampost.

Here's one I did relatively recently which ended up as a t-shirt

Attachments

• daytona ad.jpg
    daytona ad.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 181
same kinda thang

Attachments

• chargrrr.jpg
    chargrrr.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Cheers Matt, me too. In my heart of hearts I'd still rather leave her straight to be honest.

Reason: whatever of my inadequate photography skills, the Lanchester is centrally placed on the paper. Anything to the right pulls the drawing in that direction, which goes against my 'portrait mentality' of leaving more breathing space around the front of a person or object than behind.
Will post a new pic in the morning of latest version of original, and see if we can reach a final decision on it.

And great Chargers Matt! That '68 looks VERY mean indeed! (Are they also CG? They look like pen and ink sketches)

Last edited:
Y'know what? I think you should just leave it 'as is' - the drawing is of top quality and (its just like, my opinion dude) it completely and utterly stands up on its own. I dont think you need a background, I used to keep adding to stuff and fill in spaces, but sometimes its better to leave it. If I had commissioned that, I'd be over the moon with it. :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

Cheers matey, god no,.. without a computer to help I'd be screwed! So yep, all CG with special materials, lighting, and I went over the body and roughened it up so it catches the light in that way. My old boss used to send me pictures he found all over the place, magazines, on-line (yadda yadda), and would say "can you do that?" so I would spend most of my time working on techniques in 3d to accomplish whatever happen to fall through my inbox that morning! You name it, sketch/ art deco/pop art/ acrylic paint (etc etc) was good fun at the time :D

Here's a couple of examples of making my 3d package do what it wasnt made for!

Attachments

• bentley666x.jpg
    bentley666x.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 171
  • example5.jpg
    example5.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 167
  • galindodge.jpg
    galindodge.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 159
  • template blue.jpg
    template blue.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 179
  • example6.jpg
    example6.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 164
  • example2.jpg
    example2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 163
..this was fun to do, a graphic novel based on a Ferrari 360 for a mate of mine (that's his girlfriend, Chrissy) ended up as a massive 79" canvas and put on the garage wall!

Attachments

• 360SS.jpg
    360SS.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 360I.jpg
    360I.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 159
Evan actually the lamp post balances the vehicle out, otherwise you have too much blank space to the right, as I said earlier the simpler the better and in fact you will have two compositions by doing so but not deterring the effects of the wonderful auto .................. obviously it's your call friend.

crap wish I could post some of my junk on the site to show instead of just verbally rattling ...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back