SWEET!!..Size doesn't matter! or does it?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Guys...and Becca!

Let me tell you it was not a simple task, thats for sure.....

Catch the wood deck was first painted dark yellow (airbrushed), then added a bit of white to the Dk. yellow and painted random wood planks with a brush, then added khaki to the Dk.Y and repeated again.(Tamiya acrylic colours)
...and the grey edge to the lift was painted first and masked off.

Once the painting was done....the pencil came out and I ran a sharpened pencil "chisel tip' around each and every plank to highlight them, the tie down points were also picked out with black pastel chalk, using a fine cut down brush. Sections were done and then carefully a rubber was rubbed over each section to remove the excess chalk and pencil, the rubber was rubbed on another surface to remove the chalk and pencil rubbings so they didn't build up with the black and grey and smudge the decking.It is important to keep the rubber clean and only do a little bit at a time. If you do get black/grey smudges you just move on and keep going... a quick respray and touch up will fix it later...

Attachments

• Flight Deck Detail_9587.JPG
    Flight Deck Detail_9587.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 80
How much time did the deck take? The effort you put into it is amazing, real artistry at it's finest. :thumbleft:

Initial Grey and Dark yellow about 60 min. mask and spray the white lines another 45 min..that is prep airbrush, mix paint, spray and clean up.

Painting the 'odd' coloured planks was about 90 min, start to finish. The plank lines and tie down points was about 2 hours.

..and guess what! the flight deck won't even be part of the judging process when I take it to Melb in June, only the aircraft.

Wow, about 4 hours just for the deck! You are definitely an artist with these. It looks good already, and you haven't even gotten to the airplane yet.

Well here is the finished product.... I didn't take any progress shots of the Zero 'cause It was already built. I just got stuck into the painting and decals over the past week, so a lot of the work was already done when I started the deck and I switched between them as I went along.....:)

Enjoy.....I still have FIVE more...but only 1 more carrier deck set.!

Attachments

• Zero on Flight Deck_9527.JPG
    Zero on Flight Deck_9527.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Zero on Flight Deck_9528.JPG
    Zero on Flight Deck_9528.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 80
Same method as the deck, the 'click' pencil, and a piece of 600 grade sandpaper to keep a fine chisel point, AND most importantly a very steady hand....!!! Let me tell ya it was not difficult but...strewth oh so small!!!

I agree, keep your pants on Dan. The last time they came off the whole block was pregnant. :rolleyes:

Wayne :thumbleft: Excellent job.:D :D :D

Les, don't listen Plan D. He was the man involved in the block activity.:lol:
To be honest I admire him.;)

Was my Amazing Pics thread moved? Wayne, that masked canopy is too much!!!

I have acouple 1/144 that I'm not even gonna touch! That stuff is just insane. Great stuff as usual!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back