Tamiya 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt of 404th Fighter/Bomber (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

here you go buck from the squadron/signal walk around book

Attachments

• Project7.jpg
    Project7.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Project8.jpg
    Project8.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Project9.jpg
    Project9.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Project10.jpg
    Project10.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 127
Man I gotta get started on this. Still reading up on modelling techniques and such. Also just picked up three Squadron "Walk Around" books including the one on the P-47 for $20 of that big auction site. I know I can get the free version on line, but I like to have a hard copy of this stuff.

happy0034.gif

Hey Greg, I recon with all these excellent photo info inputs, your not sure what knob to start on………

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Yeah, did not start the model once again. Ended up going up to a buddies on Saturday to shoot my Muzzleloader with the intent of coming home the same day. Did not make it home until late Sunday night so I got nothing done on the model, or any of the other projects I'm working on as planned. I guess I've got 3+ months to go.

Man I gotta get started on this. Still reading up on modelling techniques and such. Also just picked up three Squadron "Walk Around" books including the one on the P-47 for $20 of that big auction site. I know I can get the free version on line, but I like to have a hard copy of this stuff.

I cant disagree with you on hard copy's ther Buck, but usually I get both as use the pdf's mainly as backups to the orginal as some of my books are really getting worn out.

Well, this project has to start this week. Too many projects going on at once and not enought time and spare cash to going properly!!
Picked up some Tamiya paint this weekend. Not sure what to use for the cockpit though. I know P-47's did not use interior green to paint the cockpit so I picked up some Tamiya Deep Green and it seems too dark from the pictures I've seen. Going to pick up a jar of Olive Green and see if it is a better match, otherwise start mixing colors to match.

Last edited:
PAINT!!! Finally got some time to start work on this model. This is the first model that I will be using an airbrush to paint with so hopefully it works out.
Sprayed the cockpit tub parts with Tamiya Deep Green, which is the closest I could find to match the P-47 interior pics I have found without mixing up a special combination of colors. Used a 3-1 ratio of paint to thinner and it seemed to spray and cover well.
Going to spray one more thin coat on this evening and then paint the rest of the cockpit parts.
Used Semi-gloss black to paint the control panel. At this point I think I'll just use the instrument decal and a lot of Solveset instead of trying to brush the panel dials.
Also need to puck up a set of magnifying glasses to help paint the small detail, my eyes aren't what they used to be. Having some trouble finding them though, local model shops don't seem to have anything like that for some reason.

Attachments

• Picture 001_00.jpg
    Picture 001_00.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Picture 002_00.jpg
    Picture 002_00.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 135
  • Picture 003_00.jpg
    Picture 003_00.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Picture 004_00.jpg
    Picture 004_00.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 125
Thanks, but so far it's just been spraying some paint. Painting the fine details is what makes the model. Those little molded, overlapping wires and small knobs have me concerned;)

Great Greg.

Just a note the color is Interior Green for the cockpit, that is how it's labeled for most colors. I don't know about Tamiya :confused: and how they go about but it looks real close! Good eye!

Thanks, but so far it's just been spraying some paint. Painting the fine details is what makes the model. Those little molded, overlapping wires and small knobs have me concerned;)

For that you can just dry brush :D

Just dip a brush in white,silver, or some color to highlight and wipe 95% of paint off on a paper towel. Then in a dusting motion move across the wires, knobs etc.

As for magnifying try this :D

http://www.hobbytool.com/lightedmagnifierheadwearwremovableled.aspx

Wojtek uses one..

Last edited:
Thanks H, I am aware of the dry brushing technique, I do need to practice the technique before trying it on this model. I'm more concerned about getting nice crisp lines on the various control boxes and such on the cockpit sides. Probably mask and paint.
And just so you know the interior of the P-47, up until the later Curtiss built models was actually a deeper green and not the normal Interior Green used on other aircraft. Campared Pics from my copy of P-47 walk around and the Tamiya Deep Green looked close to me. I know others have used Bronze Green too. Seems to be no concensus on what people use to paint the cockpit of P-47's;(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back