The Fw 190A-9 of Siegfried Baer, 5.Staffel, II./JG301, in Detail....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I b****y well hope so! I'm trying to get these models done for the diorama guide. The way things are going, I might post it in sections!
Forgot to add, on the Marauder, one of the code letter decals decided not to slide into position, so, whilst trying to 'persuade' it, it decided to curl up on itself. No problem thinks I, just add a touch of Microsol and tease it back straight. O, no, b****y thing decided to roll up into a tight ball!
Result? Hand-painted code letters on one side of model!
Still, that's modelling.......

Erich, couple of questions for you as I approach the painting stage.

First, Yellow/Red Bands both vertical and parallel to each other or could the Red possibly be angled to match the fuselage/Tail join line? What do your photo's indicate as the most likely, from what images I have seen parallel looks more probable.

Second, lower cowl, RLM 76? or is it possible that it could have been yellow?

Want to be sure......Over to you!

do not think any yellow on the undercowling in his case.

blown canopy or flat it's your call on that Wayne, and earlier drop tank or the new more streamlined external tank ?

this could be a real puny image and note the horizontal bar would be red not white as in the profile.

Attachments

• zzzzzRzzzK4a.JPG
    zzzzzRzzzK4a.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 140
Thanks Erich.

I think I will go with the blown canopy.....and will go with the kit supplied tank at this stage...

Attachments

• Drop Tank with strap_1445.JPG
    Drop Tank with strap_1445.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 140
Wayne several variable exist and I have talked with J. Crandall for years on the what-ifs

will try to find a larger scan of the artistic rendering of my cousin craft

~ W do you have Will Reschkes book on JG 301/302 ?

E ~

Unfortunately, with the variables, a best guess is the only option at this point
for each hurdle we must jump?

No, I don't have Reschke's book.:(

...and sent you an e-mail of the larger image so you don't have to go looking for it.

yes have the larger image. JG 301 birds are quite varied from November till wars end for the A-8 and A-9. I would have to say it's your call Wayne.

wish I could be more specific

~ E

Hey Erich, that's ok....

would like to continue to think that White 2 had the proper characteristics of an A-9 and would like to follow that path as we have discussed previously, otherwise we grind to a halt wondering....:)

Ok cowl is on, wing to fuselage joins are done....

Attachments

• Cowl fitted_1460.JPG
    Cowl fitted_1460.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Cowl fitted_1465.JPG
    Cowl fitted_1465.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 150
I will seriously kick myself if I'm not done before then!

Now, Erich A-9, 206179...take a close look at the large frontal image you have and sent me, and tell me how many FAN blades you think there are?...'cause there aren't as many as there should be!

your gonna have to post the scan Wayne as I have stuff scattered to the winds in my office, am also doing research on the Schnellbooten guys for another book I am working on - aka Kriegsmarine that is covering JG 301 materials in a big way, it is all intertwined and won't get cleaned out till next weekend

hmmmmmm yes very strange indicators an A-8, wonder if we got a new engine ?

and yes some of the A-8's got the wooden propellar for more power

Users who are viewing this thread

Back