The Fw 190A-9 of Siegfried Baer, 5.Staffel, II./JG301, in Detail....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I imagine 8th AF bomber crews felt the same after August 17th, 1943 when they learned another maximum effort was scheduled for the next day..

That was a bloody war. So few people understand the LW killed more 8th AF crews than the entire Japanese Navy and Army killed US Marines... and the huge but not as huge losses inflicted on LW by 8th AF.. what a bloodbath in the sanitary, spotless air over Germany.

Ok, got some done at lunch time today.....used Black pastel chalk rubbed in with a cut down brush, used a rubber to tidy up the edges......this was followed with another short haired brush to wipe away and 'dull' down the blackened area. I think i will need to do the light streaks in grey (or greyish/brown) colour, after Terry's rather observant analysis, in the latter stages after the gloss and flat coat are applied to control the effect better. I think the gloss coat will affect the lighter colour and possibly disolve it somewhat if done before....

Attachments

• Exhaust Area Blackened_2673.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 93
  • Exhaust Area Blackened_2674.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Exhaust Area Blackened_2677.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 90
Looks great Wayne, but I think Terry hit on one thing there that u may have overlooked...

The grey staining on the black area should look streaked as if coming directly out of the ports.... Also note that while Siegfried only flew this crate twice in combat, he flew it numerous times in Staffel training and Gruppe maneuvers prior to actual combat...

My heart and prayers go out to u and ur family Erich on the remembrance of such an important day..

First things first; may I join in the expression of sentiments Erich. No matter who's 'side' individuals were 'on', they did their job well, and paid the ultimate price. My condolonces to you and yours at this time Erich.
Wayne, I agree, add the streaking after the clear coats, including the final semi-matt (matt around that panel). It might sound a bit gay, but add just a touch of pink to the grey-brown exhaust streaking - it really makes it look like the real thing!
Terry.

Some upper surface panel line work done before the blackened exhaust area....

Attachments

• Panel Lines Wing_2566.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Panel lines Wing_2576.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Panel Lines Fuselage_2532.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Panel Lines Fuselage Tail_2531.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 95

Users who are viewing this thread