The New Generation Group Builds-2013 onwards

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hm. I see it as aircraft as they were in the time frame between the wars - this allows for another different selection of models, rather than have some which might have already been shown in, for example, a WW2 GB.
The idea is to have a GB depicting a different era in aviation. For example, it may be that a Gladiator has been entered in a GB depicting Malta, in the MTO GB, and if the same scheme was done for the 'Between the Wars' GB, then it would not be representative of 'Between the Wars'. However, if a Gladiator was depicted in the 'silver' finish, with say 43 Squadron checkerboard markings, then that would be between the wars.
This will therefore provide a totally different display of finished models, rather than repeats of the same Messerschmitts, P-40s and so on which turn up in other GBs, although perhaps in slightly different colour schemes. It's a 20 year period of huge and rapid development in aviation, so there's a heck of a lot to go at, compared to the five year period of WW2, for example.
Hope this makes sense.

I know where Wayne is coming from on this one. The "Willow" trainer came in just a couple of schemes; a silver/red and an all orange. By the end of the war a nod was given to camouflage by painting green stripes randomly on the top and sides, leading to a truly interesting look!
What if his craft was built in the 30's but survived into '44 or '45 to get the stripes?
Wayne, if the judges rule "no", I'll do the silver/red, if you still want to do the orange one.

The decision I think will be up to the majority, but I do feel that a model depicting the aircraft after the between the wars period would not be representative of the spirit and theme of the GB as, quite simply, it would not be between the wars.
The GB is really crying out for the 'Golden Age' of aviation, with so many record setters, record breakers, innovations and advances in technology and construction, that there really is no excuse to 'squeeze one in', when such a massive choice of potential subjects is available.

I tend to agree with Terry, we should try to stick within this timeframe.

However I would like to refer to post #72, where I feel the Igor has a good point. The original GB program devised way back in early 2010 by Les did have GB 16 as 1914-1939 (see "The Next Generation Group Listing" post #1). In retrospect our recent changing of the 1914 date to that of 1918 would seem to be somewhat thoughtless for those who have geared themselves to doing something in the 1914-1918 era.

So I'm proposing that we revert to the original dates of 1914-1939 for GB 16. This should suit some people as the new 1914-1918 GB is way into the future by about 5 years.

Please guys, feel free to give your feedback on either of these two subjects, it would be most welcome.

I tend to agree with Terry, we should try to stick within this timeframe.

However I would like to refer to post #72, where I feel the Igor has a good point. The original GB program devised way back in early 2010 by Les did have GB 16 as 1914-1939 (see "The Next Generation Group Listing" post #1). In retrospect our recent changing of the 1914 date to that of 1918 would seem to be somewhat thoughtless for those who have geared themselves to doing something in the 1914-1918 era.

So I'm proposing that we revert to the original dates of 1914-1939 for GB 16. This should suit some people as the new 1914-1918 GB is way into the future by about 5 years.

Please guys, feel free to give your feedback on either of these two subjects, it would be most welcome.

I like :) and thanks guys :) I hope Baracca's bird will be a knock out when im done with her :)

I have no problem with the time frame period either, I will still do the Ki-10 Perry to suit!

Do want to do my Willow in the Orange and Green scheme though...

I have no problem with the time frame period either, I will still do the Ki-10 Perry to suit!

Do want to do my Willow in the Orange and Green scheme though...

Wayne, you have peaked my interest to no end on either aircraft as I just broke out a bunch of my old Japansese aircraft books for some research for my own purposes hence the pictures you found today :) will be watching this with keen interest in the next build. :D

Not to hijack the thread but Wayne thought you might find this interesting. Supposidly this was cut from the side of a Willow and is on sale on ebay for a 1000 bucks but thought the picture might interest you more.

Oh and not to change your mind but if you not for sure on the Perry how about some thing really unusual. The Italian Br 20 in Japanese markings that flew with the Japanese from 1938-1939 in China :)

$(KGrHqZ,!pwE-)NLVfSIBP3P,O,-kQ~~60_12.jpg

Last edited:
Okay gents, here is the new dated listing. Could a mod please make this a sticky.

The Remaining Builds:
GB.15. Aug 1st-Nov 30th 2012 - Aircraft Carrier Planes
GB.16. Nov 1st, 2012-Feb 28th, 2013 - From WW1 to WW2 1918-39 Will buy a 1/32 P-26 for this one I think, that '13'!GB.17. Feb 1st-May 31st 2013 - The Jet Age 1944-45/Recon-Transport-Observer Aircraft of WW2 Split Build For this, me think the 1/32 Matchbox/Revell Westland Lysander...

The Recent Poll Results:
12 Heavy Hitters of WWII Allied or Axis, Single to Multi Engine
9 Aircraft Nose Art
9 Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII
9 Pacific Theatre of Operations land based or carrier launched WWII, Allied or Axis.
9 Seaplanes, Floatplanes of WWII, Allied or Axis.
8 Winter War and Eastern Front of WWII, Allied or Axis.
8 Mediterranean Theatre of Operations WWII.
8 Allied Manufactured Aircraft of WWII.
7 The Jet Age or What could have been.
7 Defense of Britain and the Atlantic WWII Allied or Axis.
7 Night War of WWII, Allied or Axis.
6 Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.
6 'Post-War Warbirds' Given a New Lease Of Life.
6 Military Conflicts of the 1950s.
5 Twin Engine Aircraft of WWII Allied or Axis.
5 World War I 1914-1918.
5 Prototype or Weird aircraft.
5 Vietnam French/American War 1950-1975.
5 Axis Manufacture Aircraft of WWII.
4 Helicopters Military or Civil all ears.
4 The Reich, its Allies and there Capture Aircraft.
4 Battle for France to the Battle of Britain Allied or Axis.

The new listing with dates:
May 1st–Sunday Sept 2nd 2013 - GB 18-Heavy Hitters of WWII Allied or Axis, Single to Multi Engine.
Bombers, dive bombers, tank busters, ground attack, anything that delivers a heavy punch.\
Aug 1st–Sunday Dec 1st 2013 – GB 19-Aircraft Nose Art.
Aircraft must be based on an actual example of flamboyant personal or squadron markings. This one has no set period.
Nov 1st– Sunday Mar 2nd 2014 – GB 20-Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII.
The last run of this build brought up some interesting subjects, it's worth running again.
Feb 1st- Sunday Jun 1 2014 - GB 21-Pacific Theatre of Operations land based or carrier launched WWII, Allied or Axis.
Self explanatory really but an opportunity to bring in the America, Commonwealth and Japanese aircraft from the occupation of China to the occupation of Japan.
May 1st- Sunday Aug 31 2014 - GB 22-Seaplanes, Floatplanes of WWII, Allied or Axis.
Lots of scope here from little single engine to those huge Blohm Voss mammoths if you can find the kit.
Aug 1st- Sunday Nov 30th 2014 - GB 23-Winter War and Eastern Front of WWII, Allied or Axis.
Scope to cover this bitter conflict that saw the partitioning of Poland in 1939 and the annexation of the Baltic States. The invasion of Finland in November 1939 by the USSR, the invasion of Russia (Operation Barbarossa) through to the Great Patriotic Wars that lead to Berlin.
Nov 1st– Sunday Mar 1st 2015 - GB 24-Mediterranean Theatre of Operations WWII.
Including the North African Campaign, the Eastern Mediterranean Operations, the siege of Malta and the Allied landings in Sicily. Good scope for Italian and Vichy aircraft.
Feb 1st- Sunday May 31st 2015 - GB 25-Allied Manufactured Aircraft of WWII.Scope across the board here from single to four engine aircraft in any role. Not just the main ones like America, Britain, The Commonwealth Countries, France and the Soviet Union but also countries like Poland and Czechoslovakia who had aircraft industries prior to invasion.
May 1st- Sunday Sep 6th 2015 - GB 26-The Jet Age or What could have been.
We all have a jet that we loved and always wanted to build, one that we loved to hate, one that we wished could have been and possibly would have been if it wasn't for politics or just one that has been hanging around too long in the stash.
Aug 1st- Sunday Dec 6th 2015- GB 27-Defense of Britain and the Atlantic WWII Allied or Axis.
Defense of Britain from the phony war to the 'D' Day landings in 1944 including Invasion Stripes coupled with the Atlantic War Mid 1940-1943. Opens the door for a host of aircraft, fighters, bombers, dive bombers, ground attack, land based or carrier based as well as Coastal Command aircraft either in search and rescue, ship launched, coastal or convoy defence and float planes.
Nov 1st- Sunday Mar 6th 2016 - GB 28-Night War of WWII, Allied or Axis.
Anything related to night operations such as bombers, night fighter, pathfinders, espionage operations and intruders.
Feb 1st- Sunday Jun 5th 2016 - GB 29-Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.
Taking in all fronts following the allied invasion across the channel, up through Italy and across from Eastern Europe.
May 1st- Sunday Sep 4th 2016 - GB 30-'Post-War Warbirds' Given a New Lease Of Life.
Civilian and military use of WWII types after 1945, including air show circuit birds, water bombers and crop dusters, museum examples, civilian airliners/ touring aircraft, foreign service post war, etc, etc...Would allow some of the odd-ball post war conversions and dubious airshow and museum 'camo jobs' a look in, as well some of the smart civvy schemes worn by ex-military aircraft.
Aug 1st- Sunday Dec 4th 2016 - GB 31-Military Conflicts of the 1950s.
E.g. Korean War Jun 1950-Jul 1953, Algerian War 1954–1962, Suez Crisis 1956.
Nov 1st– Sunday Mar 5th 2017 - GB 32-Twin Engine Aircraft of WWII Allied or Axis.
Huge scope here and again we can take it from prototype to production.
Feb 1st-Sunday Jun 4th 2017 - GB 33-World War I, 1914-1918.Aircraft in military service during this war. Nice bit of scope for those decorative flying circus machines and the mighty Red Baron.
May 1st-Sunday Sep 3rd 2017 - GB 34-Prototype or Weird aircraft.
From those that didn't get off the drawing board to those ones that went into prototype production and made the maiden flight. If the prototype went into full production then only the prototypes aircraft should be considered for this build.
Aug 1st-Sunday Dec 3rd 2017 - GB 35-Vietnam French/American War 1950-1975.Good scope here for American, Commonwealth, French and Chinese aircraft either land based or carrier.
Nov 1st-Sunday Mar 4th 2018 - GB 36-Axis Manufacture Aircraft of WWII.
Scope across the board here from single to multi engine in any role, land based or carrier.

GB 37-Helicopters Military or Civil all eras.
This could includes and rotor or prop vertical takeoff aircraft experimental of conceptual, such as Lockheed XFV-1 or Osprey CV-22.
GB 38-The Reich, its Allies and there Capture Aircraft.
Scope to bring in some of the lesser known countries involved with the Axis powers and the aircraft they captured.
GB 39-Battle for France to the Battle of Britain Allied or Axis.
Giving scope for allied or axis builds, not forgetting Italy and France.

My thanks for all your help and contributions guys, one trusts there is enough in here to keep you all happy and satisfied.......................and out of mischif.

GB18: So very tempted to bring out my Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster for this one, 'Y' for 'Yorker'.....or Trumpeter's 1/48 Mk.III Wellington.
GB19: Have no idea yet...
GB20: Hope for maybe a decen't 1/48 Vampire by then, for the Swedish Air Force...
GB21: A good reason to build another USS Yorktown bird, CV-5 or CV-10!
GB22: Sorted! Got Catalinas, a Duck might even get a Kingfisher, then....the decision which to do!
GB23: Something from the Finnish Winter War perhaps...
GB24: Tough one! That's for sure! Thinking a Swordfish and the Taranto!
GB25: Have no idea!
GB26: Swedish E/E Lightning or TSR.2!
GB27: Maybe a Catalina in the Atlantic camouflage or B-24...hmmm.
GB28: Got a couple of nightfighters for this one....
GB29: Have no idea!
GB30: Berlin Airlift me think here....
GB31: Korea and Suez! Maybe a F-86 this time and a Sea Fury?
GB32: If I haven't done my Wellington already, if so, the B-26 or....!
GB33: Whooopos! Have no idea!
GB34: Haven't got the foggiest!
GB35: Something from the USS Coral Sea CV-43 or a Wild Weasel bird....F-105!
GB36: Have no idea! See what's left of the stash! he he!
GB37: Huey!
GB38: Something from their Axis, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, something different for a change!
GB39: Beats me!

I hope not!!! Hoping to live my 20's as a single man and playing lots of hockey 8)

What you're saying is, that you're hoping to get a lot of stick?

GB 18-Heavy Hitters of WWII PO*J 1/72 Lancaster, a neighbor was one of the crew when it was lost in 1940
GB 19-Aircraft Nose Art. 1/72 A-20G Havoc, Hell-n-Pelican, Chas. Davidson pilot when it crash landed and abandoned in a marsh. It was used as a landmark. Recovered and restored now.
GB 20-Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII. P-40N flown by the only aborigine RAAF pilot named Waters, survived the war.
GB 21-Pacific Theatre of Operations land based or carrier WWII F4F-3, VMF-211 Wake Island. Flown by Lt. Davidson, last plane lost during the battle. Ace in ser. no. 211-1-10, lost in 211-1-9. Navy Cross
GB 22-Seaplanes, Floatplanes of WWII, Allied or Axis. PBY, VP-53 flown by Lt. Davidson
GB 23-Winter War and Eastern Front of WWII, Allied or Axis. Yak in winter paint, Lily of Leningrad
GB 24-Mediterranean Theatre of Operations WWII. Who knows, I'll be so old during this one....
GB 25-Allied Manufactured Aircraft of WWII. Dunno
GB 26-The Jet Age or What could have been. Dunno
GB 27-Defense of Britain and the Atlantic WWII Allied or Axis. Dunno
GB 28-Night War of WWII, Allied or Axis. Dunno
GB 29-Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII. Dunno
GB 30-'Post-War Warbirds' Given a New Lease Of Life. California Air National Guard P-51D, Hayward Sqn. 1/32 Tamiya, silly me I got two so Ill use the second on this
GB 31-Military Conflicts of the 1950s. Bob Love's F-86 from Korea
GB 32-Twin Engine Aircraft of WWII Allied or Axis. Doug Lacey's restored PV-2 Harpoon, 1/72 in Navy colors
GB 33-World War I, 1914-1918.Aircraft in military service during this war. A Davidson flown F2-b RFC ace, Palestine.
GB 34-Prototype or Weird aircraft. Dunno I'll turn 74 during this build
GB 35-Vietnam French/American War 1950-1975. L2, I've always like this twin that only needs a single engine land license to fly!
GB 36-Axis Manufacture Aircraft of WWII. Dunno
GB 37-Helicopters Military or Civil all eras. Maybe my SH-34J if...
GB 38-The Reich, its Allies and there Capture Aircraft. Dunno
GB 39-Battle for France to the Battle of Britain Allied or Axis. Dunno

I have a question about GB.17. Feb 1st-May 31st 2013 - The Jet Age 1944-45/Recon-Transport-Observer Aircraft of WW2 Split Build.. more about the jet age portion. Does a Nakajima Ki-201 Karyu comply with the GB? It was a Japanese copy of the ME-262 that was started but did not get completed due to the war ending? It seems to fall into the grey area of 1945/1946.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back