The P-108/B-17/Lancaster Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When I think about all the fine aircraft that the RLM screwed up on.

The FW 187 which was a twin-engined fighter significantly faster than the ME109

The HE 280, a jet fighter that could have been in production by 1941 and which was more manouverable than the FW 190

The HE 100, much better fighter than the ME109

HE 219, a fine night fighter which was bedevilled by RLM screwing around

ME 264 Heavy bomber

Junkers JU 89, a four engined heavy bomber built in 1936, capable of 245 mph then.

And others.

Its a wonder they got off the bloody starting mark!

Kiwimac

In all ways, what you say there Kiwimac, I do totally agree with. -The German ingenuity and workmanship WAS really excellent, ahead of it's time; and to our favour, their Administrative interference stuffed up their best projects- As the War progressed their workforce craftsmanship deteriorated too, annulling what they did have...

whould the war have been more of a success for the germans if they had put more effort into producing planes like the 109, and notwasting time with their projects?

For all of Hitler's preoccupation with bombers [as seen by the 262 project] he didn't allow any big-bomber development to mature. - Not directly his fault tho', the whole Command Structure was flawed-rotten by all the ego-power-trippers trying to please/promotion-prosper thru' the Chain of Command - All this contributed to obscuring the real purpose of Research Development - there was too much political interference in Technical Decision-Making, let alone Strategic Tactical, that they lost the enormous intituitive they had with these then-fantastic revolutionary designs. They had them on the drawing-board in plenty of time - Karma - the core of their reasons for War were 'spiritually' wrong, and that kind of rot was what led to their undoing ultimately - Depends on how far-back from it historically you want to stand, to view it...

No, Germans were beaten on numbers, even if they were flying brilliant planes (although theres were very, very good) they would have lost.

Makes you wonder what would have happened if the R D dept had actually been LISTENED to, doesn't it?

Frankly I think that the Germans would have won WW2 by the simple expedient of taking the UK and then sitting pat, if they had continued bombing airfields and resisted the temptation that was the USSR.

Having said that there seems some evidence that the USSR was planning to hit the Germans so goodness alone only knows.

Kiwimac

With the Technology being the same, we would have never lost, even without Russia. Russia destroyed their land army, but what good is a land army when you can't get it on enemy land?

The BoB ended before Operation Barbarossa, and the British were out-producing the Germans in aircraft, plus we were blockading the North Sea and keeping the Atlantic open.

The Russians were planning to attack, or at least defend their land in 1942. They were modernising their military to be ready for 1942, that's why I always say it was much better for Germany to attack in June 1941, like they did. Although it was the British that saved Russia, since they attacked the Germans in the Balkans making them divert forces from the Eastern Front and postpone the invasion of the USSR which lead to the attack going into winter. Had we not distracted them they would have attack in May and avoided the Russian Winter because they would have smashed more (I would say most but if you like at the stats they did destroy most, of a 28,800 tank arm the Soviets were left with 1506 in July '42) of the Red Army, and won.

People always think I'm disrespectful of them when I say that, but I'm not. It didn't happen like that and the Soviet Union was a great ally and bled the Wehrmacht dry on the ground.

but some would argue that the blitz and the BoB were finished because the germans started to turn their attention to the eastern front............

They should read the directives Hitler gave then Lanc. Hitler called off BoB in 1940 unofficially, 'postponing it until a later date' and it was then cancelled in 1942 officially. In between this time we had started the 1000 bomber raids, attacked in the Balkans and North Africa.

He cancelled it a year before going to Russia. He'd been defeated by the RAF and he knew it. He was always going to attack Russia, but Hitler was stupid but not stupid enough not to realise leaving Britain there would be his downfall, well he had that idea in 1940...then he kind of forgot after we beat him and he was charging across Russia.

b17hit.jpg

Something is wrong with this B-17..but I don't know what...HAHAHA :lol:

Damn it... :mad: ...well it was just a B-17 falling out of the sky with one of its wings off....

I have loads of pics of all different B-17s and even a few pics of the YB-40 (B-17 Gunship) also this pretty cool one of a B-17 in front of an original style B-52s wing, but I need to get a scanner :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back