The Tradition Continues......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Listen to your Drill Sergeants. Most of them are actually doing what they do for your own good.

The first couple of weeks of Basic are never easy for young men. It was tough on me and everyone else. But as the group starts to gel as a team and things progress, pride will start to come in and things transform. I doubt you'll be able to send him anything other than a letter (we weren't allowed anything other than letters) so encouraging words are good, and let him know you are proud of him for choosing his path.

Well my son made it to basic but he is having some problems. He really has never been in a situation like this and I guess from the postings his mom is posting on Facebook, he is having difficulty adjusting.

Here is the FB page of the unit he is with....

194th Armored Brigade | Facebook

1/81 of the 194th Armoured unit. The pic is the day they arrived and though its hard to tell, the guy in the middle left I believe is my son.

Can you guys give me some suggestions as to what I could send him or write that may make a difference?

As someone who has gone through Basic, I can tell you it is tough at first. It was not as hard for me because I grew up in a military family (it helped that my dad was a former Drill SGT as well).

If you want to right to him, the best thing you can do is tell him how much you love him and support him. Tell him he is doing a good thing and that you support his decision. Let him know that it is tough but the DS's will set him up for success and the basics of a life in the military. And most of all, let him know not to give up. No matter how tough or stupid something seems, there is a reason for it. Keep his eyes and ears open and he will do fine, just never give up.

Edit: Also let him know that after Basic, military life gets much better.

Fly LOW, under the radar. Do EXACTLY what you are told. Don't be early - Don't be late - NEVER volunteer. Know the difference between a RIFLE and a GUN.
My most vivid memory is of the 50 gang toilets with no partitions between and 400 push-ups 'cause I DIDN'T do the first 20 correctly (I showed-off by clapping between each one of the first 20). 'course it's a kinder gentler Army now.

Just got some more pics of my son from the Company website.

pic 1: second from right

pic 2: first from right with glasses

pic 3: last line on the right 3rd from the end.

pic 4: 3rd from left reaching for his bag

Attachments

• 198624.jpg
    198624.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 284049.jpg
    284049.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 284426_.jpg
    284426_.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 285023_147666878649824_146663292083516_277301_4733603_n.jpg
    285023_147666878649824_146663292083516_277301_4733603_n.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 126
With all in every respect, and be there for his grad ('passing out' as we call it in the Airforce). He may not show his appreciation if you do, but he will not forget if you don't.

As for the recruit course, remember this: the drill instructors are just there for 2 reasons - to teach you the necessary drills and routines, and to try and 'break you' ie, test your physical and mental tolerances in prep for miltary service - that's all.
Though there may be some who have personal gripes with various individuals (I made 2 enemies amongst the Corporals), the majority are just doing their job and nothing personal is intended.
When attacked with an injustice, whether humorous or serious, we learnt to just say 'No excuse, Corporal!' and let it go - taking something personally just ended up in trouble and/ or embarassment for the recruit. And as someone said, over eagerness and volunteering is also just plain asking for trouble.
Best is to just try and keep your head, do the BS without question, and wait for that passing out parade...

(Just my 20 hungarian forint)

Really hope things work out between yas in any case Chris.

That's too bad! Be proud of him that he tried and gave it his best. I often regret never going into the military. Your son will never have that to live with that regret.

Sorry to hear that my friend!

Use this time to support him and let him know you are proud of him. As Messy put it, he has nothing to regret. Just by signing up he did more than most people do.

With all. Very sorry to hear he's being released Chris...but he can be very proud of himself for what he has achieved.

Btw, try and support him and let him know how proud you are of him - my release thru defence cuts was one of the saddest times of my life. In some ways I've still never gotten over it, 20 years later.

Man, that sux. Echo all the above, he made the effort, and it was through no fault of his own that he was cut loose. Shame they couldnt' find a desk job or something for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back