The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bottisham Airfield Museum Open Days, 24 and 25th September, 2016.

After driving to Norfolk at speeds I didn't think the 'Tin Tent' could achieve on Friday, Liz insisted that I still go to the above event, even if just for a few hours, as she knew I'd promised to help out, and had planned the visit for some time.
I should have been there for the full weekend, with Liz joining me on the Saturday afternoon, but, due to the circumstances described elsewhere, I only attended on the Saturday, when I was probably as useful as a chocolate tea pot, "assisting" Museum historian Steve Goss with the audio-visual presentations.

Normally held on a Sunday, this was the first time the Museum had hosted a two-day event, with the highlight being the newly completed Nissen / Qounset hut, built on the base of the original WW2 building entirely by volunteers, the 'Grand Opening' of which was to be held on the Sunday, together with a fly-past by one of Maurice Hammond's P-51 Mustangs from 'Hardwick Warbirds'.
Bottisham airfield, around 7 miles east of Cambridge, UK, was originally an RAF airfield, operating Tiger Moths, and later, P-40 Tomahawks. With the arrival of the USAAF 8th AF, the field was taken over by the 361st FG, first with the mighty P-47, and then their famous yellow-nosed Mustangs.
Originally located in some buildings on one of the dispersed sites on the edge of the village, which were required for redevelopment, the Museum was fortunate enough to be given the use of the last remaining buildings on the airfield site, with the farmer on whose land it lies being extremely generous and helpful. These are the crew ready rooms and briefing room for one of the Squadrons (375th from memory), along with stand by accommodation for the line crews and, nearby, a couple of dispersal points.
Jason Webb and his team, including some Americans,all volunteers, have done a magnificent job over the last couple of years, clearing the site and renovating the buildings, with the new Nissen hut being the culmination of the work to date. Future plans include further structural renovation, and the reclaiming of the nearby dispersal sites, and some of this is shown in the photos which follow.

Attendance on Saturday was good, although the majority of military vehicles, re-enactors, and the general public, were not expected until the Sunday. However, people came from the local area, and from various points of the UK, Europe and the USA, to support the event and raise funds for the Museum, and many made the effort to get 'in the mood', and dress in period 'costume'.
I was also able to meet up with some of the team I'd met on earlier visits, as well as Tony (Rocketeer) and his wife Dawn and Gary (Geedee) and his lovely wife, which helped to cheer me up a bit at least.

I'll post the pics over the next couple of days, starting below with some 'introductory' shots, and I'd like to express my gratitude to Jason and the team for making me welcome, and putting up with my glum face on Saturday.

PIC 1. The 'Stars and Stripes' flies proudly in the stiff breeze above the Museum buildings.
PICS 2 to 4. The plans for the future, taken from one of the display boards.
PICS 5 and 6. The bar and some of the stalls, setting up early on Saturday morning.
PICS 7 and 8. Some of the first military vehicles on site, and one of the re-enactors camps.

More pics to follow soon.

Bot 1.jpg
Bot 2.jpg
Bot 3..jpg
Bot 9.jpg
Bot 4.jpg
Bot 5.jpg
Bot 6.jpg
Bot 7.jpg

Thanks chaps, and yes Andy, I've been very fortunate with the weather during my travels this year, enjoying temperatures and sunshine which, on average, have been 5 to 10 degrees warmer than 'home'.

Yes Jim, that's a Link trainer. I meant to get pics of it, but never got a round to doing so.

A few more pics, with first shot being an aerial photo taken in May 1946, with the Museum site marked by the yellow arrow at top right. Some of the vehicles, with the little Austin, and a beautifully restored Jeep, dating from 1944, and all original, including the engine and running gear.

Bot 9.png
Bot 10.jpg
Bot 11.jpg
Bot 12.jpg
Bot 13.jpg
Bot 14.jpg
Bot 15.jpg

Thanks again chaps.
Some more from the Bottisham open days, with a couple of forum members, some re-enactors, and a few of the exhibits on display throughout the buildings on site.

PIC 1. Our very own Tony (Rocketeer) brought along some bits and pieces to show.
PIC 2. Gary (Geedee) and his lovely wife could only stay for a few hours, as Gary had only arrived back from the 'States the night before, and was knackered, having been flying around in the B-24 and P-51 - I hate you Dean !!
PIC 3. Look, it's a B-1RD ! Gary shows his better side - or is he showing off the artwork done by Jim H ?
PIC 4 . A few of the re-enactors, who really looked the part. The Museum 'staff' all wore ground crew coveralls and flight caps.
PIC 5. The Local Defence Volunteers (later re-named Home Guard) were represented by this fine display of improvised equipment.
PICS 6 to 9
Bot 16.jpg
Bot 17.jpg
Bot 19.jpg
Bot 18.jpg
Bot 21.jpg
Bot 22.jpg
Bot 23.jpg
Bot 24.jpg
Bot 25.jpg
. Some of the many fascinating exhibits on display in the newly completed Nissen hut and the other buildings, including the P-51D front cockpit section, a Bf109K instrument panel, and a P-51 drop tank recovered from a field in France.

More to come soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back