Twin P-40

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I can't believe the undercarriage (would have) remained in its original P-40 position outside of those nacelles, it makes for an unnecessarily unclean frontal area given that the nacelles look capable of easily swallowing the gear mechanism - they're enormous

Very interesting, hadn't heard of this before, thanks Colin.
Have to agree it's ugly, unbalanced, somewhat pointless and not user friendly. Wonder why Curtiss didn't go ahead with the plans then..........!!

Considering he made it off the is picture I dont think it looks that bad.

Attachments

• 43.JPG
    43.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 91
That's just not right. Had they made that one, it would have been a candidate for the "butt-ugly airplanes" thread. Aside from having 2 engines for redundancy, I don't really see much of a benefit.

Actually it probably would never had made it past the proto stage. Look at how high the engine cells are compared to the canopy. Visibulity is greatly reduced. Pilots would have been a sitting duck in this thing in combat.

The only reason I can see for the concept, is as an emergency transport, for example, 'Casevac', with a casualty, passenger, agent, or freight in the rear of each nacelle. But then, why? There were already suitable types in operation!

Hi Colin,

What I don't understand about the twin P-40 is how the airplane is supposed to preserve its centre of gravity and its aerodynamic controllability.

With two engines in front of the centre of gravity instead of one, something has to be put in the back to avoid the aircraft simply nosing over on the ground - don't even think about flying! The large nacelles look as if they're well-suited for carrying large amounts of fuel, which is a good idea as two engines will need twice as much fuel as a single engine, and it's nice to see that the variable load is right on the centre of gravity where it won't create any trim problems while it's consumed, but it will do nothing to cure the originally nose-heavy trim either. And if the armament is going to be carried in the nose, there's even more stuff in front of the centre of gravity, making things go from bad to worse ...

Aerodynamically, the tail will not be large enough to guarantee stability with the large additional surfaces in front of the centre of gravity, and a long fuselage plug (as seen on the Fw 190D) will be the least that'll be required. Even if this is added, if there is no change to the original wing the aircraft will end up with a rather high stall speed and accordingly very hot take-off and landing characteristics. So you're probably going to need a new wing as well, and this will require a yet larger tail moment. The larger wing is going to create more drag as well, unless you avoid enlarging it by re-designing the old wing to incorporate high-lift devices ...

You might be better off just designing a brand new twin, and I guess that is what historically kept Curtiss from pursuing the twin P-40 project :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back