What are you doing today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have alot of irons in the fire at the moment, so work on the bench has been a bit sporadic.

I do have the plywood topper, both the left wing and right wing will be two feet out from the backsplash. The right wing has an eight foot run, the left wing will be a five foot run, so the piece seen in the photo needs to be cut and fitted against the eight-foot piece.

The plywood is 1-1/8" thick for sub-flooring and I have a metal guy who's going to make a metal cover for it (it may actually be stainless steel if the price is right).

View attachment 731694
I'm a metal guy. Hope you got deep pockets.

I'm a metal guy. Hope you got deep pockets.
The bench is the heart of the shop, so it's a nessecary evil.

He'll be giving me quotes on several types of steel as well as stainless. He specializes in countertops for resteraunts, so his jigs are all laid out for this sort of job.

If the stainless is within reach of the other materials, I'll just say eff-it and do it.

The bench is the heart of the shop, so it's a nessecary evil.

He'll be giving me quotes on several types of steel as well as stainless. He specializes in countertops for resteraunts, so his jigs are all laid out for this sort of job.

If the stainless is within reach of the other materials, I'll just say eff-it and do it.
Yup. Go for it. You won't regret it.
Right now I'm contemplating skinning my cellar entry with painted steel to match my gutters and downspouts. I'm tired of repainting the aging plywood every summer.

Got a quote for the work bench topper: $1,250 for heavy gauge stainless steel, fully welded and surfaced with a 4-1/4" backsplash. That includes installation, too.
So that's a yep - gonna get it.

As far as the toolshed's progress, it's been slow going. I have a part time job and they keep upping my hours - I'm getting irritated about this, since I told them that I need to get the house done, which is why I'm "part time".

So as of this morning, the frame is 100% done and I just finished the subroof. I have to go to work at 12 noon, so I cannot start on the siding.
I could have, since originally I was scheduled to go in at 4:30 p.m. - but nope, they changed the schedule yesterday and informed me that I need to come in earlier...

Anyway, here it is as of this morning:

20230805_094810.jpg

Grau: My dad was the same when when he retired and agreed to do some consulting for a friend's company. What was supposed to be no more than 500 billable hours a year, ended up being about 1500 hours a year for several years. When the company shut down, another consulting company made dad an offer with about 400 hours a year. That ended up being about 900 hours a year. He finally said enough, when they wanted to send him to Ft. McMurray while it was -25, to do a process review at the refinery, and retired again.

Avoid metal workbenches because of the shock hazard. Use the electrical outlets that trip, ground fault inter ruppt type.

Last edited:
I use a 1.75" thick x 36" x 78" solid core door for my work bench. It is heavy enough that it does not move easily, and the construction of the door absorbs shock and damps vibrations (including sound). No conduction or sparking.

Avoid metal workbenches because of the shock hazard. Use the electrical outlets that trip, ground fault inter ruppt type.
I've used metal workbenches for decades.
They don't delaminate or absorb oils, they are a true flat surface for projects that need a square base.

They come in handy when tacking together a metal fabrication project and if the metal is stainless, then beads won't stick (or set the bench on fire like wood surfaces do).

I might add that if a person is in a situation where a metal benchtop is a shock hazard, they need to step back and re-evaluate their situation. If there is an open line coming in contact with the benchtop (regardless of composition), they need to stop immediately and take the project to someone who knows what they're doing.

Currently watching the very first episode of The Six Million Dollar Man (edit, the first TV movie released in 1973)

Last edited:
Ok, today was a multi-tasker!

I've made progress on the tool shed, starting to get the siding in place. At this rate, I should be done this time next year...

20230809_183539.jpg

As for the workbench, I have the plywood cut and laid down, finally.
Next step is to get the contractor over to take final measurements and then make it happen!

20230809_213510.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back