What Cheered You Up Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Heck, when I saw 'SLR', I thought you meant the 7.62mm L1A1 rifle !!!
Nice catch there Alex.

My good thing today - received a second-hand book via e-bay, which was very cheap, and in pristine condition. When I opened the cover, there were the signatures of the author, and Gp.Cpt 'Hamish' Mahaddie !!
Result !

Heck of a bonus, Terry!

And while you're at it, tell me why the British used pink parachutes during the 60's

Pink parachute canopies were used for supply drops, before the days of true 'Heavy Drop' and 'ULLA' systems. There were a number of colour-coded supply parachute canopies, each colour denoting a certain type of stores - ammo, fuel. rations etc.
I can't remember the colour designations , but I think pink was for ammo.
Military man-carrying (paratrooping) canopies were (and still are) a light khaki/olive colour, except on the basic para course, where white canopies are used for the stick on one side of the aircraft, with the olive on the other side, with the reserve 'chute canopy normally just white.
Special Forces, 'ram air' free-fall canopies can be dependent on use, with pale blue, black and DPM camouflage being employed.
Parachute canopy colours on ejection seats are dependent on the type of 'chute/seat, and are normally segmented into white, olive, sand and orange, to be used as a camouflage shelter in the three basic terrain types, with orange for rescue attention. The 'aeroconical'-type canopy is normally part red, part white, but again can be the four-colour segmented type.
Puce green and 'dayglo' pink canopies are used by very dodgy civilian free-fallers, along with diamante jump boots and Lyrca underpants ............

Great info, thanks, Terry!

The reason why I asked, is because I saw pink canopies for sale in a military surplus catalogue. They said these were 1960's vintage, British military. The diameter is fairly good sized, too...perhaps 18-20 feet across (estimating from their photo).

Great info, thanks, Terry!

The reason why I asked, is because I saw pink canopies for sale in a military surplus catalogue. They said these were 1960's vintage, British military. The diameter is fairly good sized, too...perhaps 18-20 feet across (estimating from their photo).

I'd buy it. Due to your recent "run in" with an idiot armed with a car, I'm thinking "ejection seat" installed in your next car.

I'd buy it. Due to your recent "run in" with an idiot armed with a car, I'm thinking "ejection seat" installed in your next car.
:evil4:

Not sure about an ejection seat, though. Perhaps just get something a little more solid to repel any future encroachments into my personal space?

PzkfwV_Panther_SperberFG1250.jpg

Yea, but the gas mileage would kill you. :lol:
Couldn't be any worse than the pickup I used to own, years back...

A 1973 Dodge 1-ton Power Wagon with a Magnum 440, 727 Taskflight trans and a 2-speed rear differential. It had the Club cab and factory 9' bed with a payload capable of 2,200 pounds. I was lucky as hell if I got 9 miles to the gallon with it, but then again, there was nothing this monster could not handle.

hmm...now that I think about it, if I was in this Dodge last year, it would have probably used that old gal's Buick as a speed-bump...

Naw...I'll stick with the Panther :thumbleft:

I was called my workmate who had a knee surgery a week ago. Unfortunately there appeared complications after that. But now he is fine and getting well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back