What Cheered You Up Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My friend Frank, whose pictures are posted on the forum, fancied himself a teacher. He came with my wife and I to visit in laws. My mother in law had never driven anything. Her youngest son tried to teach her on a riding mower which destroyed much plant life. When Frank learned of this, he said, "I can teach you". She was about to go shopping at Walmart, so my son in law said for Frank to have at it. She was to learn on the motorised riding cart.
After a lengthy time, they returned with Frank looking down cast. When no announcement was made concerning the driving test, we asked how it went. Frank said she knocked down two displays and an old man.

I live on a corner and had a problem with people driving across my yard rather than going al the way to the corner. I put some RR ties down along one side, piled dirt behind them, and also poured concrete to create a rectangular block at the corner. Late one night I awoke to the sound of voices. I looked outside to see a car sitting next to my yard. I later heard the sound of a tow truck hauling the car away. The next morning I found skid marks terminating at the concrete block. My Perimeter Defense System had scored its first kill.

Unfortunately, years later the drunk in the pickup was so far off course he pretty much missed the whole thing and totaled his truck against my house.

He planted them so only 18" was protruding from the ground and built a cute little picket fence in front. Problem solved.
Unfortunately, the County here says that items close to the road have to be "breakaway" and errant drivers have been known to sue homeowners when they stray off the pavement and encounter hardened obstacles - and win those lawsuits. I had a concrete mailbox built in response to the local teenage sport of knocking over mailboxes, but after an elderly lady's car went ballistic one day a few years back and punted mailbox debris out into the intersection, I was advised not to replace the mailbox with something similarly robust, since while it had broken up, it was not "break away."

Up the road a mile or so from me there is an S-turn in the 30 mph speed limit stretch of road and the people on the West side of that area have placed numerous large stones along the edge of their yards. Reportedly they have collected some 17 cars over the years.

The day after I started my new job a young E5 army aviation vet started. Good time exchanging war stories. Almost 30 years age difference and we experienced the same thing and laugh at the same situations. He left the army with arthritis back problems and PTSD. He is driving to Dallas to pick up his service lab dog today. He was so excited yesterday. He was not this happy taking his daughter fishing last weekend but it was close. Looking forward to meeting out new coworker.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread