What Cheered You Up Today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not actually sure if this cheered me up but my son who recently had job issues, (and now works from home) is moving to Pennsylvania.

I know he's really excited as he's been planning to do that for about 18 months so I'm happy for him.

Me on the other hand... he'll be the only one living out of state :eek:

3 day work week.... Thursday June 6th headed to the Fagen Fighters Museum in Granite Falls, MN for their 80th Anniversary Commemoration of the D-Day landing. Thursday have nothing planned, will probably hit the rifle range, then go home and throw something on the grill for dinner and down some Beers. Saturday heading to a Traditional Archery 3d shoot (longbows and recurves only, none of those new fangled bows with training wheels at each end). Hopefully won't loose too many arrows and can refrain from buying another bow...
Sunday will be spent recovering from the previous 3 days....

3 day work week.... Thursday June 6th headed to the Fagen Fighters Museum in Granite Falls, MN for their 80th Anniversary Commemoration of the D-Day landing. Thursday have nothing planned, will probably hit the rifle range, then go home and throw something on the grill for dinner and down some Beers. Saturday heading to a Traditional Archery 3d shoot (longbows and recurves only, none of those new fangled bows with training wheels at each end). Hopefully won't loose too many arrows and can refrain from buying another bow...
Sunday will be spent recovering from the previous 3 days....
Well I think I've recovered. Airshow winds were 25-30mph accross the runway for most of the day so not much flying of warbirds. Razorback P-47 and P-51 from Dakota Territories departed for another airshow late afternoon after the wind direction shifted to parallel with the runway. Was nice to see a Razorback P-47 in the air for the first time.
Archery shoot nearly did me Saturday, started getting Vertigo and dizzy spells about halfway through. I think I had a reaction do the mosquito spray I used? Plus I didn't manage to get out of there without placing an order for a new custom Longbow. Now the long, agonizing 8-10 month wait for it to be built.
Did not get the rifle range, fire up the grill, or down any beers though....
Still much better than working.

So I posted over in the "What Annoyed you..." thread about the various crap happening to me. Well today was alittle bit brighter. The Pre-wife had eye surgery on Monday to correct the surgery she had last week. Went to the doctor today and he said that it is looking so good, she doesn't have to come back until next week. First surg we had ro see him every other day. Just now she comes to me and says the shadow that was there after the first surg is gone and things are clearer and she can see without glasses in that eye. Tank Gawd for small miracles.

Took a little journey back to my old school via the class of 1968 yearbook. We only had the Aviation Club for one year and that is where I got Ground School. My step-father never gave me the promised flight lessons. Never trust step-fathers as they always lie to you, but that is what it means to be a stepchild. Am posting pictures from that year book. I tried colorizing them. I didn't try to put color in my Junior year photo. I'm the one in the middle with my black coat. I happen to be Larry Sumner.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 19-15-49 Classmates - Find your school yearbooks and alumni online-2.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 19-15-49 Classmates - Find your school yearbooks and alumni online-2.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 19-41-57 Classmates - Find your school yearbooks and alumni online.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 19-41-57 Classmates - Find your school yearbooks and alumni online.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 20-00-42 Classmates - Find your school yearbooks and alumni online.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 20-00-42 Classmates - Find your school yearbooks and alumni online.png
    97 KB · Views: 2
A couple of things cheered me up. First of all that Njaco Njaco seems to be back, at least for now. Welcome back Chris.

The other is what happened to me when working on my then-and-now photo project. I was trying to recreate a photo of some houses that were bombed during the 1944 Merwestein bombardment. The houses have been rebuild. In front of the houses, there was a playground and I tried to avoid getting one or more of the kids on the photo. One of the parents came out of his house, suspicious of the strange guy with his big DSL camera near his kids. So I walked to him to tell him what I was doing and his mood fully turned in a positive way. He showed me holes in the wall of his house, where bomb fragments had hit it and even called the lady next door, an 80+ year old lady that had lived there since the houses were rebuild. They had all kinds of stories about the place and told me about the German field graves that had been where the playground now is (the graves were also on the photo that I tried to recreate).
So I made some friends over a ww2 photo project. These were really fantastic people.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back