Where were you/what were you doing when....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Mount St. Helens had its eruption, on May 18, 1980, at 8:32 am PDT?

mount-st-helens-before-after-spirit-lake-before_20384_600x450.jpg

mount-st-helens-before-after-spirit-lake-after_20383_600x450.jpg

1312px-Mount_St_Helens_Summit_Pano_II.jpg

Seeing that I was 14 years old at the time, and May 18th, 1980 was on a Sunday, and Minnesota Walleye/Northern Fishing opener is generally the closest weekend to May 15 I would suspect I was probably out on a lake fishing somewhere. I do remember the news reports showing ash covering everything.

Since I was in CDT it would have been 10:32AM. Enjoying my morning off from work. It was a cool foggy, rainy, and drizzle day. Heard about the eruption on the evening news. Started getting some ash on the cars about may 20 or so.

I was moving to Kentucky and we ultimately got a dusting of ash there too. Now that I live in the Seattle Washington area, you can still drive down the I-5 corridor and can see what look like small hills for miles along the freeway. They are all overgrown now, but they are actually piles of ash that were removed from the area. If you didn't know about it you could never tell they were man made.

I was Not 13! I was 37 and living in Livermore CA, my father lived in Portland. Watched it on the news as I was in the same time zone. Everyone figured the whole line of volcanoes would go up all the way down to Lassen Peak.

I would of been 14 yrs old and more than likely home pi$$ing my sisters off that was common being the only boy.

On the road with a well known "punk" band......"You load 16 tons and what do you get" etc. I've still got the jacket,a nice red Harrington.
Steve

mmm don't remember exactly, but was preparing for a trip to Canada with the Australian Box lacrosse team for a Tournament "Nations in 80" in Vancouver in June of 1980.
After the tournament we bussed down to San Francisco passing by Mt. Saint Helens (in the distance) and saw some of the devastation that had occurred....

I was 6 at the time, so probably at school or outside playing with friends (we did that back in the day). We were stationed on Guam at the time, IIRC.

I was 19, playing in my first rock band and working nights as an ACO. I remember the lead-up to the blast, with daily reports on the news how they were trying to get everyone off the mountain. Weren't exactly successful...

Let's see... a sunday morning in 1980, probably waking up with a hang over next to some young skank.
(Ah, the good old days!)

I was 37 then and would have been in Tabuk, Saudi Arabia, probably brewing or drinking home brew with me mates. My room had been converted into the 'Reefers Bar'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back