Your prayers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The dialysis isn't working,.
found out that the dialysis machine is pretty much all that's keeping him going right now..

Sorry to hear that mate. I hope that things improve.

(Don't wish to seem a nosy parker but the dialysis is/isn't working? If not, why? If his condition is terminal, from the metastases, at least the dialysis should extend his time with you and alleviate some of the acute renal failure symptoms?)

No prob, Graeme...just don't expect too detailed a report, most of what the doctors say is in Latin and waaaay over my head! He had one kidney removed back in February, the main tumor mass was growing in it. They decided not to do radiation on the rest of the cancer (reason I was given at the time was that there just wasn't enough to worry about radiation....apparently, it was too widespread to worry about radiation), but put him on some medications. One of which was "Sutent". One of the side-effects is adverse kidney reactions. Three weeks ago, he was re-admitted into the hospital over the weekend (before MothersDay) for kidney failure. When he was admitted, his remaining kidney was functioning at 10%. While they were discussing options, it dropped to 4%. They hooked up the dialysis machine immediately. My wife and I drove down over MothersDay weekend, and they seemed optimistic that they'd "caught it in time". Once again, they were either misinformed (probably not) or trying to protect their kids (which brings up a whole 'nuther set of gripes which would need a lot of time and a leather sofa to lay on while venting). I got the phone call yesterday evening from Dad himself. And that's all I know about what's going on.

RA

how is his breathing ? I ask as my Dad is doing crap with his bi-pass surgery his kidneys are not processing the fluids needed-backing up and forcing this toxins into his lungs. wondering if your Dad is having the same hell-hole experience ?

E ~

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family RA, sucks to go thru it........

Sorry, didn't see your post yesterday Erich. Last time I was down there, he seemed to be breathing really shallow, and was really weak. Dunno much more than that.

Got a call this afternoon (about 10 calls, actually...I'd left my cell in the office for a little bit. The ONE time today that I left my cell...). Dad passed away around (I'd guess, based on call-times) 3:30 or 4PM. Good news is that once they got him off the dialysis and unhooked and unplugged and everything, over into the hospice, he was actually REALLY comfortable and happier.

Thanks again for all the prayers, y'all. At least one was answered....that if it was his time, that it wouldn't be painful and prolonged.

OMG RA, I'm so sorry for your loss. We almost lost my dad about 15 months ago with his heart failure and I don't know what I would do without him around. Losing a parent is so hard, but I was happy to hear he had some time of comfort. I will continue to put you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. You hang in there buddy.

If you want to talk or vent, PM me. I'm just around the corner from ya (Garland) and will offer a shoulder for you to lean on if you need one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back