Your Wild Life Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pictures of the European sea eagle. The slightly bigger cousin of the bold eagle. They are much more rare than the bold eagle in the US and I am in the lucky situation that we have a nesting pair about 3 km from our house. Sorry for the quality, the distance is about 500m, which is slightly far for my 300mm lens.
In the first photo, the eagle was hunting and thought to catch a swan. Getting closer, he thought better of it and left the big bird alone for an easier prey.

20170524_1819.jpg
20170524_1885.jpg
20170524_1886.jpg

Marcel, excellent pictures. I'm assuming they were taken in or near the Biesbosch wetlands. The White-tailed sea eagle Haliaeetus albicilla (white-tail) averages about 6.9 kg while our sea eagle Haliaeetus leucocephalus (white-head) averages 7.5 kg. So our Bald Eagle with both white head and tail would be the bigger cousin

Marcel, excellent pictures. I'm assuming they were taken in or near the Biesbosch wetlands. The White-tailed sea eagle Haliaeetus albicilla (white-tail) averages about 6.9 kg while our sea eagle Haliaeetus leucocephalus (white-head) averages 7.5 kg. So our Bald Eagle with both white head and tail would be the bigger cousin
Ah thanks for that, I was told the European was slightly bigger, obviously it was wrong.
And indeed, this is in the Hollandse Biesbosch, on the Tongplaat to be precise, which is just a few kilometres south of my house. As I said it takes me 10 minutes on a bike to get there.

So about 5 years ago there were no eagles in the Netherlands. Now there are at least 7 in my neighbourhood, of which 2 nesting pairs. It's going well with this animal.

It's always good to see a conservation success story. Occasionally we can be almost too successful! Anyone driving through Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire on the M 40 will see Red Kites, which is a good thing, but they are actually becoming a nuisance in some areas, mainly because people feed them. Around 40-50 birds were re-introduced to the UK (from Spain) in the late eighties and early nineties, there are now more than 1,000 breeding pairs who have obviously overcome the rather more chilly weather of the Chilterns :)

Not exactly wildlife, but I was wondering why there seemed to be fewer song birds frequenting my back garden, then I caught this chap 'in flagrante'. Not my cat, but he's obviously decided my bird table makes a perfect look out and ambush position, the little bastard.

IMG_1850.JPG

Cheers

Steve

An apt description Steve....
Yep. Nothing a super soaker filled with a nice citrus flavoured liquid (orange or lemon, cats hate them both) won't sort out. I'm not much of a cat lover, but you can hardly blame a cat for being a cat, he's just doing what comes naturally to him. Non-lethal and relatively harmless deterrence will be the order of the day, I want him gone, but have no intention of hurting him, at least not physically :)
Cheers
Steve

Not sure if this is a Mourning Dove or a Eurasian Collared Dove as both are only listed as probable in my part of the province. The sky is dark as there is a severe rain warning for this area.

a.jpg

Last edited:
Geo, not an expert by any stretch but don't think Mourning Dove due to that neck ring. Wish I could see more of it especially the body. Mourning doves have black spots on the wings and black bordered white tips on the tail. Kinda a grayish olive color. Streamlined body and pointed tail look good. Did you hear that long drawn out call and when they take off they make a whirring noise with their wings. Years ago used to hunt them quite a bit
mourningdove.jpg

Though it's hard to see, the bird does have what looks like a blue ring around its eye....

b.jpg

....and its very similar to this photo of a Mourning Dove taken from the site...Mourning Dove

mourning_dove_6.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back