1/32 Tamiya Merlin's Magic P-51D Reno dio

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Been a while since I've posted on this one. But today I worked on the istrument panel, paint and sub assembly. I started punching the decals, but the bloody things just keep coming apart. I need to find some film instruments to stuff in them, instead of paper that gets all wanky!

Attachments

• MM 5b.jpg
    MM 5b.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 93
Great keepsakes Rocky. And Jim has posted that Merlin's Magic is retiring from racing.
Tis pic of the side walls are just off to Jim in an email today.

Thanks for coming back for a look guys.

Attachments

• 1-32nd scale c-pit.jpg
    1-32nd scale c-pit.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 68
Yesterday, a day off, I tackled the extended radiator back door. It looked in scale from a side view to be about 10mm added, maybe 18 inches. Progressive pictures. Part from kit, added some PVC for the length, added some PVC for the side walls, shaped and in place.

My Humbrol glue is the best stuff. Sticks PVC to itself and to the kit plastic incredably well. Works fast to tight as well. Pewrsonally I wouldn't use anything else now. Got it only cuz it was all the LHS carried, besides Revell, yick.

Working on the rudder. Stu had the trim tab removed and rudder recovered. Kit rudder has the stiching tape shown. Bugger of a chore.

Attachments

• 18e rad exhaust.jpg
    18e rad exhaust.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 18d rad exhaust.jpg
    18d rad exhaust.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 18c rad exhaust.jpg
    18c rad exhaust.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 18b rad exhaust.jpg
    18b rad exhaust.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 18a rad exhaust.jpg
    18a rad exhaust.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 84
And today I have gone nuts on the prop hub as it is hanging from a fork lift the front and back of the hub is visable.

So I have done some surgery on it. I filed down the outside of a PVC tube to get a thin wall tube, enlarged the hole for it to be inserted thru both front and back hub halves. I cut off the front of the front section of the hub. I then filed out this hole and made a PVC "washer" at the front end.

I just have to work on the back of the spinner rear section. The rear section is attached to the hub and blades with the front of the hub open. In assy this slips over the splined crankshaft end on the engine, then the nose cone and front spinner half is attached.

When I finish this part I will post actual pictures of the blade-hub sub assy hanging from the forklift.

I sailor on.

Attachments

• 19a prop assy.jpg
    19a prop assy.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 19b prop assy.jpg
    19b prop assy.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 81
vertually done, only decals left to do.

Pictures during the changing of engines at Reno with the shots of my prop assembly........

Attachments

• 20d prop fini.jpg
    20d prop fini.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20c prop fini.jpg
    20c prop fini.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 20b prop fini.jpg
    20b prop fini.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20a prop fini.jpg
    20a prop fini.jpg