1/32nd Scale 'Revegawa' Spitfire MkXIVc

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Jason!
Well, only eleven hours later than planned, but here's the latest group of pics!
She's nearly there! A few more bits to do, and some cleaning and touch up here and there, and the Spitfire MkXIV, out of Revell, by Hasegawa, will be born!
The gun bay has been fitted out and painted, and just needs a little touching-up, the tail wheel has been taken care of, and some scratch-built detail parts made and fitted in various places.
PIC 1. The gun bay, with the single Hispano 20mm cannon, the firing hose, BFM and heating duct, and the belt of somewhat over scale 20mm shells, the latter painted as AP and HE rounds. The mouldings for these look more like the 40mm grenades used in the M203 grenade launcher, being short and fat, instead of the long round used in these cannons. But, at least there's a belt of ammo in place, and it doesn't look too bad overall.
PIC 2. The 'retractable' tail wheel and the bay doors have been adapted from the Revell kit, and fitted into the carved-out tail wheel bay. This part is typical ex- Matchbox, being a bit on the 'chunky' side, but doesn't look too bad from normal viewing angles, and should look even better once the kite is up on her legs. The rudder actuator rod can also just be seen in this shot, slightly modified from the Hasegawa kit part.
PIC 3. Short lengths of stretched sprue were bent and inserted into pre-drilled holes inside the roof of each radiator, to represent the de-icer spray nozzles, then painted a dull silver colour. The 'grainy' appearance around this area is dust from a tissue used to wipe off excess PVA adhesive, which had been used to help position and hold the part in this awkward-to-reach area, until cement could be used, applied with the tip of a cocktail stick.
PIC 4. Strips of thin, glazed tissue, taken from the protective cover of one of the kits decal sheets, were glued over the machine gun ports, using PVA adhesive, and the material pressed into the drilled-out ports. These were later painted to represent the doped fabric patches, used to protect the gun muzzles from dirt and icing. Once the paint had dried, the patches were torn open around the gun ports, and then smoke streaks added, using thinned paint and some pastels.
PIC 5. The gun patches after painting, looking more like the guns have been recently fired.
PIC 6. The exhausts have been painted in various metallic shades, then some discolouration and staining added. The paint has not quite dried in this shot.
PIC 7. The canopy has had the locking latch made and fitted, cut from (very) thin plastic sheet. A 'blob' of PVA was placed on the end of a very short piece of thin stretched sprue, glued into a tiny hole drilled in the canopy frame and, when dry, painted gloss red, to simulate the rubber ball used as a handle on the canopy jettison cable. Although they can't be seen in this view, the jettison cables and rods, on the bottom frame each side of the canopy, have been made and added and painted bright red. Again, very fine stretched sprue was used for this job. The canopy frame had already been painted but, due to handling, some of the paint has worn off, which can be seen on the rear frame in this shot. When the delicate fittings have fully set, the framework will be touched-up as required.
The shape of the Spitfire canopy makes it difficult to photograph, in this scale, as an individual item, but hopefully, the scratch-built additions will be more visible when it's photographed in place on the model.
So that's it so far. The main landing gear will be fitted next, and time needs to be spent on this, to ensure the adapted wheels align properly, and that the model sits evenly. Once that's done,the cockpit entrance hatch and canopy will be added, and the radio whip antenna, the beam approach antenna, and the pitot tube and IFF di-pole will be fitted, all the antennas being made from stretched sprue or plastic rod.The model itself will then be finished, with the exception of the covers for the open gun bay, which will be positioned in suitable places once the model is on its base. I still haven't decided whether or not to make and fit a rear view mirror, but that can be added at any time if required.
Thanks again for your interest and kind comments, and hopefully, the next pics will be of the finished model.

Attachments

• Spit XIV Build 463.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 463.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Spit XIV Build 471.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 471.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Spit XIV Build 468.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 468.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Spit XIV Build 412.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 412.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Spit XIV Build 465.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 465.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Spit XIV Build 461.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 461.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Spit XIV Build 479.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 479.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 95
Thanks very much indeed chaps, it's very much appreciated, as always.
Yep, it's now almost, almost done! I'm just waiting for the landing gear legs to set properly before I can sit her on her own feet, and I'm happy to say that, unless the legs slip and set at the wrong angle, the 'sit' is correct and all square - thank Heavens!
I've just got to find a way of setting the canopy in the open position whilst keeping it level, so that it appears to be in the runners. It's been a minor problem on all of the Hasegawa 1/32nd scale Spits I've built to date, and this is the fourth conversion. The canopy tends to droop very slightly at the rear end, unless the notch on the top rear frame is pushed up hard against the radio mast. Of course, the MkXIV doesn't have a mast, as a whip aerial was fitted further aft on the fuselage. It'll sit level at certain positions, but then the slight gap between the cockpit walls and the rear glazing is visible, and this can't be rectified effectively without spoiling the lines of the fuselage, especially around the cockpit entrance hatch. I'm sure I'll overcome this very minor problem though, and I should have some more pics, hopefully of the finished model, tomorrow. Then, it's time to do battle with a bl**dy big Beaufighter!
Thanks again,
Terry.

Thanks again chaps!
Well, she's virtually done, just a few little last minute touches, and tomorrow the Spitfire MkXIV of 610 (County of Chester) Squadron will be on her base and ready for display.
I'm just waiting for the PVA to harden, used to make the wing-tip navigation lamps and the tail lamp, and also the fasteners on the inside of the ammunition bay cover. These, along with the 'blister' cover for the cannon, will be displayed on the wing, alongside the open bays.
I'm also going to paint AEAF stripes on the underside of the fuselage, something I thought long and hard about. But, as the model is representing an aircraft in mid-summer, 1944, and this Squadron was heavily involved in anti 'Diver' patrols from late June 1944, as well as some strikes over the Normandy coast, the stripes really need to be there.
Anyway, here's some pics of the final detail work, and some general shots of how she looks so far.
PIC 1. An IFF rod aerial was made by shaving and sanding a piece of stretched sprue, to form a semi-aerofoil shape, then cut to length and cemented into a small hole drilled under the starboard wing.
PIC 2. The IFF aerial in place.
PIC 3. The Beam Approach 'boat' antenna, on the lower, port fuselage, was made from a moulding of Milliput, with a stretched sprue rod antenna glued into a small hole on the rear face.
PIC 4. The cockpit entrance hatch in place, and the canopy temporarily set on the 'runners'. The canopy jettison rods can just be discerned in this shot, made from very fine stretched sprue, and painted red. The red rubber ball, in the centre of the canopy latch, was connected by cables to pins on the front and rear of these rods; pulling the ball released the rods, and the slipstream would then blow away the canopy. It did sometimes remain in place, due to air pressure, and there are numerous accounts of pilots having to push against it with their shoulders to free it in order to escape. The crow bar, clipped to the entrance hatch, was for use if the canopy jammed totally. These are mostly painted red on most models, and preserved aircraft, but it appears that this was a post-war colouring, and in wartime they were either the same green as the rest of the cockpit, or bare steel. I've compromised, by painting the bar steel, with a red tip!
PIC 5. The wingtip navigation lamps, and the tail lamp, have been added, using blobs of PVA adhesive, teased into shape. Once set, these will be painted in the appropriate colours, and then glazed with another thin coating of Micro Kristal Klear, itself a PVA, but more refined, which dries totally clear.
PICS 6 to 10 Some general shots of how 'RB167' looks so far.
By this time tomorrow, she should be totally finished and on a base, and I'll post some better pics of her then.
This might not be the most accurate model of a Spitfire MkXIVc, and yes, there are a few small areas which could be better. But, I've really enjoyed tackling this conversion, and, as far as I'm concerned, it looks like a MkXIV, and I like it!
Once this one's done, the 'donor' Mk.22 model will be finished, as the sad remains of a fire-dump practice hulk.
This is the fourth Hasegawa 1/32nd scale Spit I've done now, and I think it's about time I actually built one as provided, the MkVb, but I might just try a low-backed, bubble canopy LF16e first!
Thanks you all very much again for your interest and kind comments, and I hope you enjoy these pics.
Terry.

Attachments

• Spit XIV Build 501.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 501.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Spit XIV Build 509.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 509.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Spit XIV Build 484.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 484.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Spit XIV Build 483.jpg