1/32nd Scale 'Revegawa' Spitfire MkXIVc

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much once again gentlemen.
Well, three hours work saw the code letters in place. I deliberated whether to buy a sheet of code letter decals and, apart from being 'tight', deciding that £6 was a lot to pay just to use six letters, I reckoned that the decals probably would not match the 'Sky' band and spinner. So, I decided to hand - paint them, and cut a template from thin card, in order to set-up the size and spacing for the letters.
PICS 1 and 2 show the template taped in place on the fuselage, and the letter shapes, 'DW - E', drawn on the model in pencil.
The template was then removed, and thin strips of masking tape positioned to provide a guide for the outside edges of each letter, which were then hand-painted using a 00 brush.
PIC 3 shows the finished result, still in need of some tidying and touch-up work.
Once the paint had dried, the model was cleaned, and the light panel lines checked, before a very small amount of exhaust and gun staining was added with pastels, and some dust and light wear around the wing roots. These areas will be further treated later, once the gloss coat has been applied, and the 'torn' canvas patches glued over the MG ports.
PIC 4 shows the first gloss coat applied, with Johnson's Klear (Future), which will be allowed to harden for a few hours before further coats are sprayed as required, ready for decalling.
Once that's done, it's down to the detailing work, and fitting the landing gear, antennas etc.
Thanks again for your interest and kind comments.
Terry.

Attachments

• Spit XIV Build 321.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 321.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Spit XIV Build 322.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 322.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 113
  • Spit XIV Build 329.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 329.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Spit XIV Build 331.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 331.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 117
Thank you very much indeed chaps, I really appreciate your kind comments.
Alex, once the template is removed, the letters are painted free-hand. In this instance, I positioned small strips of tape at the edges of each letter, just outside each vertical pencil line. These were purely as a guide, so the eye had a reference to work to if or when the hand, or brush, obscurred the area being painted. It is possible to make stencils using strips of tape, or cut from masking film, but it's extremely fiddly, especially for me, due to the Arthritis, and the surrounding area needs to be masked also, as it's best to spray when using stencils, to avoid a raised edge where the mask has been. Hand-painting takes time, and a lot of patience and a steady hand. Oh, and the ability to hold your breath for stupidly long periods of time!
I normally paint the ouline of each character first, using a 000 or even a 5/0 brush, then carefully fill it in using a 00 or 0 brush, only lightly loaded with part-thinned paint. Any 'slips' or uneven edges are ignored, otherwise the whole lot goes to rat poo. These can be corrected later, using the surrounding base colour(s) and, once the clear coats are applied, any blemishes or discrepancies normally disappear.

The decalling is almost completed, with just a few stencils left to place. Once they've all had plenty of time to set, the model will be cleaned, and then a semi-matt clear coat applied.
The next stage is the detail work to the gun bay, canopy and cockpit entrance flap, followed by a very small amount of light weathering, then it'll be time to fit the modified tail wheel and main landing gear, and add the small scratch-built items such as the radio antenna, IFF di-pole etc.
So, nearly done, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't mess up at the last minute, as, so far, it seems to be turning out reasonably well.
Thanks again for your interest.
Terry.

Attachments

• Spit XIV Build 342.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 342.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Spit XIV Build 347.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 347.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 112
Thanks very much guys. There are a couple of small areas which could be a bit better, but yes, it's reasonable, not perfect.
The main thing is, so far, it looks like a MkXIV, although no doubt 'the rivet counters' would probably find fault!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back