1/48 Me262B-1a/U1 "Red 8" - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Geo. Yep, heading out first thing tomorrow and will stay in Hope Friday night. The weather is promising to disappoint but we'll see how it goes. Inside word has it that Bob Jens will roll out his Mossie and Spitfire XIV. Hope to get plently of pics.

In the meantime, here's how I'll leave my 262 for the next few days. I've decided to leave the flaps in the "up" position, justifying my reluctance to do more surgery with the fact that many pics of 262's on the ground do not show flaps deployed and the fact that I am really pushing the time limit on this build. Not that I'm also filling in all the panel lines as these were puttied and sanded smooth on the real aircraft. So much left to do.....

15080601.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all. I have made a decision to put this project on hold based on the time left in this GB, the number of other commitments I have, and the amount of work left to do to get this model finished to my satisfaction. I will focus in the time left on the one model I have half a chance of completing and that's my CF-104. Thanks for all you interest so far and hopefully I'll resume again September.

Hi Andy, any news about the process of your 'turbo-bird. " :shock:

BTW, in this model is necessary to add weight at the tip? You can see that mine is almost the same but with a single seat and a turbine uncovered. :rolleyes:
The instructions do not indicate anything about it But you know I PREFER TO SIN PER questioner.:oops:

I send you a hug, hoping you are well. :thumbup:

Saludos cordiales amigo.
Luis Carlos
SANCER

Thanks for your interest Luis-Carlos. This build is still on the sidelines as I'm just getting back from England and am sorting through and posting pictures. My Hurricane for GB27 is priority the next but I plan to get back to this one some time in October.

Yes, the nose will definitely need weight. I'm just not sure how much but will experiment once the tail plane is on.

Thanks for responding friend, I will be alert monitoring of your Me.
(I'll look up your Hurricane ...)

I will pay attention to the weight that I put on my Me, stabilize him and get well.

Saludos cordiales :thumbup:
L-C

Ok. Cob webs blown off and back at it.

Since we last talked, I had done more sanding and filling of the fuselage and wing panel lines. Next up was the addition of weights to the nose and closing this are in with the separate cowl piece. First though, the cowl provided with the kit has the two inner cannon openings faired over which is not correct for Red 8. My bird had all 4 cannons open to the elements so I had to open the two up. Fortunately, there are molded sleeves on the inside which served as decent guides for a drill and I was able to drill them out and shape the troughs without much grief. The pic below shows the port trough opened up with the starboard one still appearing as supplied with the kit.

15110301.jpg

Before installing the cowl, I determined the amount of nose weight needed by balancing the model on a knife handle centered on the main gear attachment points. I would have like to press fit the gear struts in temporarily to do this but the attachment detailed provided doesn't lend itself to that. In any event, I determined that two lead fishing weights of 4.6 grams each would do the trick. Making them fit in the space took some doing though and I ended up hammering them to shape and fitting them as shown.

15110302.jpg

The cowl was a tight squeeze and, in trying to make it fit, I didn't sand the fouling edges evenly so there were some gaps that I had to contend with. These I filled with varying thicknesses of sheet styrene.

15110303.jpg
15110304.jpg

After filing and sanding this area down, it was time for the first trial coat of primer to see where more work was needed.

15110305.jpg
15110306.jpg
15110307.jpg

Not bad for a first pass. There are a couple of panel lines that still show a bit and you can see file scratches at the cowl that need to be dealt with but no real drama. I'll do a bit tomorrow at lunch and start adding the panel lines for the cowl back in before re-priming for a second look-see.

Nicely done Andy. It's a b*gg*r when there isn't quite enough room to fit the required weight - which reminds me to buy some small lead shot, as I'm running out of the lead roofing 'flashing' I've used for years !

Well, I could melt down a Hippocroccofrog and send the results to you - but I think Canadian Customs officials would object to the contamination threat !

Not to mention the smell.....

Sanded down the primer layer tonight and worked on sharpening the edges of the slat surfaces. Some scribing will follow and another coat of primer. Nothing to show really.

Great to see you back on this one Andy! Can't wait for the camo work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back